<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"The other decision is required at this point in the build, namely to display with wings folded or not. I've decided to have it both ways and to fold the starboard wings only and have the port ones extended. Hopefully the model won't tip over!"

Andy,

You're doing more with this kit than I'm capable of and I'm happy to follow your build since it's obviously going to end up a fine looking model.

As to the one wing folded idea - it's one I toyed with when I started mine and wish I'd done. I think it actually would have saved me some alignment headaches - or maybe not but that's the way I plan to continue the resurrection/rebuild of my Swordfish. For what it's worth, have a peek at this: IPMS Kit Review: Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk.II

I doubt the model will tip over but who knows what that person may have done to prevent it.

Mike

Thanks Geo.

Did a bit more work on this, starting with getting the wing center section installed along with the struts.

17031501.jpg
17031502.jpg
17031503.jpg

A little bit of filling will need to be done in the last location above where the struts fair into the fuselage as there is a very small gap there. The other side needed some adjustment as the location where the struts met the wing surface differed from the port side.

Started on the wings as well. The halves were glued together after punching the myriad holes for the rigging attachments.

17031504.jpg

I did not pay full price for this model, having bought it second hand but on assembling the upper wing center section, I noticed that the details (grips?) there are short shot. I wonder if the former owner noticed it and therefore decided to sell it. It's a mino probelm, easily repaired with scratch built parts so no big deal. I already broke of the t-shaped antenna post on the tail anyway and these things may go the same route.

17031505.jpg

Fubar57,

The page you posted (page 8 of the instructions) on step 14 shows those mirrors being painted X-11 (Chrome silver) for the reflective area. I sort of assumed they were mirrors at the time I was painting them but it's nice to get confirmation.

Andy,

Too bad about the short shot. With your skills you'll not have any problems making them. With regard to the antenna post (the little "T" shaped appendage on the tail), if you look back to the first image I posted in this thread you'll note I broke mine off as well. I'll bet that many folks who attempt to build this kit do the same thing.

Mike

Thanks guys. Looked back over my photos as well. It almost looks to me as though there were grips there and that some might have had mirrors attached. Looking closely at the pic from the rear quarter of my machine, I don't see the mirrors but I think the grips could be there. I may just saw off the lot and just add the grips made of wire.

if you look closely, I added a couple of lead wires to the control column, one of which runs up to the firing button that's painted silver.

I could not see it but I think Porter and I are drinking from the same bottle of Scotch and he's hogging it but the work looks great whether I can see it or not :lol:

Andy, I love the way you've painted the entire interior as well as the fine work on the seat belts. . It all looks weathered just right and ready for a flight. I'll certainly be referencing this thread when I get around to mine again. You're doing a magnificent job!
Andy and Wayne are Top notch and you can go throw Kim in the mix also ;)

Hey stop drinking my booze and get your own!

BTW, I rather botched things up in that the struts to the lower wing are not properly installed. If you take a closer look at the 1st 3 pics in post 104, the point where the V meets the fuselage should not have a ledge and the fairing should be flush. I don't know what happened here but it needs to be fixed.

I don't think you botched anything up. I had to do a lot of work on that area just to get it half right. Lots and lots of sanding and filing. I still kick myself for not doing enough of both.

Mike
32671691093_a53a1fd69a_h.jpg

If you had not daid anything I never would of known better Andy but one side does look more recessed than the other some liguid glue Tamiya might make so you can pry it loose but would not force it to much.

Mike your build there looks good;)

Not prying anything Kevin as the struts are attached to the lower wing too and will leave a rather ugly pair of divots. I'm carefully sculpting the fairing flush but no pics yet as I've not had time to do anything too productive as yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back