<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all.

I've now finished off detail painting of cockpit bits and added the seat belts. With that done, Ihave progressed to gluing th efusleage halves together. First, here's a view of the pilot's office. The seat belts are Eduard early RAF type and, if you look closely, I added a couple of lead wires to the control column, one of which runs up to the firing button that's painted silver.

17030401.jpg

The WO/Gunner's position also has belts added. The ends of these extend down to the floor.

17030402.jpg

The Observer just gets a rudimentary lap belt hung from his back rest. These are made of tape stuck to a couple of Eduard PE buckles to represent the attachment points.

17030403.jpg

I'm going to need to press down the pilot's belts a bit as they are kinda floating.

17030404.jpg

With that, the halves are glued together and, as warned, the fit is quite tight, especially at the bottom seam and the pilot's head rest. These areas are clamped and will remain so over night. The vice isn't doing anything other than holding the model off the surface so the lower clamp hangs free.

17030405.jpg

Thanks again for looking in guys.

Great stuff Andy.
Obviously it's personal preference, but the pilot's harness is probably OK as it is - the Sutton harness was fairly stiff, so it didn't always drape as easily as more modern materials.

Andy, I love the way you've painted the entire interior as well as the fine work on the seat belts. . It all looks weathered just right and ready for a flight. I'll certainly be referencing this thread when I get around to mine again. You're doing a magnificent job!

Thanks Michael. The treatment in the cockpit area consists of a base coat of Interior Grey/Green followed by a dry brush of Tamiya Sky and random chipping with a silver pencil. It doesn't show up well in the photos but I'm glad you liked what can be seen.

With the fuselage together, I've attached the horizontal stab and struts and set that aside to concentrate on the engine. Below are the various parts that are to be used and in this pic I've already glued the back of the engine to the main block and assembled the two cowl parts.

17030601.jpg

The Tamiya PE sheet has two parts resembling wheel spokes that I don't like at all. None of the reference pics I've seen of the Pegasus mounted in a Mk II Swordfish have cowl supports that look like this so I decided to leave them off. I will replace these with proper round rods arranged as they should be once I assemble the engine into the cowl.

On that note, I dry-fitted the engine into the cowl and found that I had to cut of a bit of the locating tab so that I could rotate the engine slightly to line up the exhaust pipes with the ports on the cylinders.

17030602.jpg

I then proceeded to install the spark plugs and ignition cables. The plugs are fine brass rod glued into drilled holes and the wires are lead. The ignition cable on this engine disappear behind the cylinders to twin magnetos that will be hidden in the fuselage. I therefore didn't worry too much about routing the ends once they are tucked behind the cylinders.

17030603.jpg

I'm busy tomorrow but hope to paint the engine and have it installed in the cowl before the end of the week.

Good stuff Andy, and I like the look of those ignition wires and plugs. I also like the way Tamiya provide the exhaust pipes moulded into the collector ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back