**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190 D-9 white 12 Jg301 - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ok progress has been slow due to moving house and work being a nightmare of late.
got some done today.
the Eduard kit requires zero mistakes in alignment, which unfortunatly i couldn't maintain so have some nasty gaps to fill now !
Picture 102.jpg
Picture 099.jpg

Coming along nicely mate. It might be better to remove the cowl and wing gun covers, and shave a bit off the covers or seating. Might get a better fit perhaps ?

Woah! Fore-warned in fore-armed... I shall be a it careful with this first D-11 I am about to start!

did that Terry, belive me it was much worse !

Zaggy all i can say is check, check then check again, better modellers than me will love this kit but i feel Eduard spent more time on the bits that would be left open than seeing if it would build up all closed !

@Rochie, yeah I get that impression too - which is fine if you're going to build ONE of them. But I have 16 of them! :) Reviews seem to suggest it sits between the Dragon and Tamiya for ease of build and closer to Dragon for shape and detail. I'm quite curious! :)

Having a look at the D-11 earlier, I think (like the old DML/Dragon kit) the order of operations is CRITICAL and the instructions should be used only as a guide. My plan ATM is to glue the wing root gun doors CLOSED before doing anything else wing related. And based upon recent successes ( unless parts prevent this), gluing the wing tops to the fuselage before the lower wing goes on. By the look of the above kit also, the Fuselage gun door is going on before the barrel troughs as well!

But like most kits that I can remember in the last 20 years, fit is normally quite good once you can discover the way that they're MEANT to be built - getting to that point can be painful tho! I guess its one of the advantages those of us who tend to build only a few types, have over the rest; we get the chance to get used to the idiosyncrasies in the DML kit or the Eduard kit or how to correct the short-comings of the Tamiya kit, etc...

BTW, anyone have any experience with Alclad II Metal-coloured Lacquers??? Having not been happy with the adhesion of the Tamiya Flat Aluminium Ive been using, I've decided to give the Alclad 'Duraluminium' a lash next time I spray bare metal...

did that Terry, belive me it was much worse !

Zaggy all i can say is check, check then check again, better modellers than me will love this kit but i feel Eduard spent more time on the bits that would be left open than seeing if it would build up all closed !
I have the same problem with an A-8, the covers fit like crap, but on the real Fw's the panels are less than perfect fitting also...

BTW, anyone have any experience with Alclad II Metal-coloured Lacquers??? Having not been happy with the adhesion of the Tamiya Flat Aluminium Ive been using, I've decided to give the Alclad 'Duraluminium' a lash next time I spray bare metal...

I am currently using it on my P38 seems to work pretty well.Black primer lower pressure cool room,do not forget the gloss black like I did and lastly adhesion seems very good.I will be experimenting with more in the future for sure.

Gloss Black primer? I didnt know that - cheers :) Hmmm, I take it no pre-shading then? Maybe I'll prime with a Gloss Dark Grey and pre-shade with Matte Black for some tonality :)

:crazyeyes: Lot of work ahead of you there Karl. I seldom open up panels so I pretty much dread it when I open a box and see them. Always means more work. All I can say is that I'm glad the "D" I have in my stash is a Tamiya.

That's a toughie Karl and must be so frustrating. You got me wondering if there recent 109E-1 could have the same problems, we will see when I get round to building it.

karl, the Alclad II I have not spent but never use polyurethane paint that is spent on automocion for decoration, are very similar, so they are really good and look good a coat of extra glossy black primer, I spend a equally automotive is cheaper than alclad, then you have to give the Alclad II fasteners for without finishing products alclad brightness is lost and left the tracks each time you play, moreover, that if it reacts with moisture tends to come off, I never wear again but this is what I have been seeing and reading known work, here are adept at these paintings.

a great work wear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back