**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ah man Terry...really sorry to hear that... Try and get to a doc ASAP mate - tendons have to be dealt with straight away or they harden and you're screwed...

(fantastic work on the Harier btw)

Got more chance of finding Hitler's dog than I have of getting this seen to quickly Evan!
At least it only seems to be in the finger itself - on the left hand, it's much worse, with the fingers bending upwards at an impossible angle! Left hand is totally stiff, and can't bend or close it. If I was a horse, I would be shot !
Going to try to do some more later, but having tremendous problems holding things (for example, i can't write), until I find and adapt new ways of doing things - Nil Illegitimus Carborrundum, as they say !!

Terry I don't know much about how the medical system works in England but here if you don't make a pain-in-the-a$$ out of your self you can't get anything done. From what Evan said it sounds like if anything can be done it must be done quickly, so you need to make a major pain out of yourself with those people until they do something about it! Don't wait! Start badgering them right away. Like you said, the surgery may not work, but if there's a chance that it will work you just can't give up on!

I'm just devastated for you Terry and one can only hope that things improve with time or that surgery techniques may have improved since you last had a similar operation.

Thanks guys. I've left a message for the RA Nurse, who is the Consultant's 2I/C, so wait to see what happens. I'm not being negative, but I doubt surgery would help totally anyway, as the fingers are already stiff and disformed due to the RA, and getting worse anyway. But, we'll see what happens - never know, I might be able to play the piano - bl**dy couldn't before!
Anyway, with a bit of perseverance, and a lot of cursing, I managed to get a few more of the small decals applied. The red 'X's in the pics, on top of the fuselage, are the 'No Step' stencils, superimposed onto a light grey silhouette of a a shoe sole. But, as the kit's decals are for a GR7, in the earlier two-tone grey scheme (Dark Sea Grey on top), they don't show up! I'll hand-paint the 'shoes' later.
In the second pic, the grey quartered circle, to the right of the formation reflective panels, is sitting over a spike antenna, and this will be cleaned-up once fully set.
Just got around another 90 or so stencils to apply, then make the serial number decals, for a GR9 of 4 Sqn, ZG472, with white 62 tail number, as it looked in the later, overall light grey scheme, just before being murdered.. er... retired, in December 2010.
Once that lot's done, it's on to detail painting, followed by a semi-matt clear coat, before tackling the final construction stages. That should be 'fun' - all those tiny parts, and only two working fingers. Oh, deep joy!!
Thanks again for your interest and concern, and I hope to post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 155.jpg
    New Harrier build 155.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 66
  • New Harrier build 156.jpg
    New Harrier build 156.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 68
  • New Harrier build 157.jpg
    New Harrier build 157.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Aaron and Andy - and the only help I'd want from the nurse is getting my hand at least partly functional - nice enough woman, but if a car, she'd be more in the Trabant class, rather than Ferrari !!

Thanks Andy, Evan and Bruce. No, not Nurse Diesel, but not the best looking apple on the tree!
Had a break from doing the tedious decal work, and started on the landing gear. Cleaned up, wheels assembled, legs and wheel rims painted. Not much to show yet, but hope to get more done, and some pics, in the next day or so.
Found a new way of holding a paint brush, although haven't quite mastered fine control for detail yet - getting there!
Did a test fit of the canopy glass to the frame - going to be a sod to get aligned, without getting glue on the transparent part, even if I had fully functioning hands!

Wonderful work, two fingers or ten!
Fingers twisting back? How about a glove type brace? If you can't fashion it yerself someone over there on that wretched little island should be able to help.

I've got a set or rings to wear, to attempt to keep the fingers straight. But, apart from being uncomfortable, and catching on things, they aren't much use really. The fingers are knackered, and no amount of bracing will alter that fact. A brace, or the rings, are only of 'cosmetic' value, to make the hand look 'normal'. Ah well, have to get used to it and get on with it, I suppose!

Damn, that is a curse Terry....will try to organise Nurse Gl-Gl-Gladys Emanuel for you to cheer you up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back