**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Andy and Evan. Just about to spray the semi-matt clear coat, then fit the pylons and main gear. Hope to get some more bits added, and detail painting done tomorrow - pics then.
Searched all over town today for Johnsons Klear (Future), in it's current form - can't find any anywhere! Darn, just about to run out of my last original-formula bottle!

Thanks Andy and Evan. Just about to spray the semi-matt clear coat, then fit the pylons and main gear. Hope to get some more bits added, and detail painting done tomorrow - pics then.
Searched all over town today for Johnsons Klear (Future), in it's current form - can't find any anywhere! Darn, just about to run out of my last original-formula bottle!
We can get it pretty easy here, I wonder if its on the "forbidden to ship" list? If its not, I'd be happy to send you one.

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the offer M - but any fluid is a 'No No' by mail, from or to the UK/USA.
Can't believe the major Supermarket chains don't stock it anymore, or so it seems locally, but I'm sure to find it somewhere.
And now, having been awake too long, and with these f*****g hands hurting like Hell, I'm off to bed, hopefully to get some kip !!

Thanks Aaron and Peter. I got the semi-matt clear coat sprayed, but it was bl**dy awkward and painful to do, due to this recent hand damage. Discovered I might not now be able to use an airbrush for precision work - will have to find a new way to hold it and operate the trigger I guess.
Due to pain and stiffness, I haven't got much more done, but hope to have something to show within the next day or two.

Managed to get my hands to work enough to do a little bit, and take some photos. This small amount of work took around four hours, due to my stupid bl**dy hands! Must find a way to adapt and succeed with only two working fingers!
PIC 1. Variable thrust nozzles and heat shields in place. Some exhaust staining will be added later.
PIC 2. Main gear in place, but small door not yet added. I was about to fit the nose wheel when I realised I hadn't fitted the landing and taxi lamps!
PICS 3 and 4. Stores pylons had the decals added and were fitted to the wing - bit more fiddly than I expected, with stiff fingers getting in the way.
PIC 5. How the model looks so far.
Thanks again for your support and concern, and I hope to post more very soon.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 173.jpg
    New Harrier build 173.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 49
  • New Harrier build 183.jpg
    New Harrier build 183.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 51
  • New Harrier build 187.jpg
    New Harrier build 187.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 52
  • New Harrier build 184.jpg
    New Harrier build 184.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 53
  • New Harrier build 185.jpg
    New Harrier build 185.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 53
We can get it pretty easy here, I wonder if its on the "forbidden to ship" list? If its not, I'd be happy to send you one.

It is here. Ordered some from Scotland, the package disappeared. Asked the shop to track it, turned out the posties destroyed it without bothering to tell any of us. :disgusted:

Terry - fantastic work mate!

Thanks Andy. I don't mind using a paint brush - at least 50% of my models are brush painted. But, it's things such as mottle camouflage, or fine blends which will be the problem. I can still manage an overall colour or clear coat, by using two hands (those bits which work!) to hold the airbrush, but, of course, where the model itself needs to be held in one hand, I'm knackered!
I could always rever to the way I did fairly convincing mottle before I got an airbrush, but not the same as being able to do the 'real thing'!
I'm just hoping that I can either practice enough in finding a new way to hold the 'brush whilst being able to operate the trigger, or see if a 'pistol grip' with trigger would work - although still have the problem of operating the bl**dy trigger delicately and sensitively enough to achieve precise control.
F***ing stupid disease!!!!!

Thanks chaps, and no M, the airbrush hasn't packed up - my hands have!
I already had knackered hands, due to Rheumatoid Arthritis, with only my right hand working, at about 75% efficiency. But now, another tendon has snapped in this hand, and I only have the two outer fingers working.
I couldn't press the button on a rattle can, and even if I could, it would be the last thing I'd use to do a mottle, even through a card template - far too much pressure and not enough control. I might have to go back to using a cotton bud, which has worked for me in the past, but, meanwhile, I'll keep on trying to find a way to control the trigger more precisely.
Anyway, back to the model, and a little more progress, although it took about four times longer than in normal circumstances.
Most of the major components are now in place, and the next step is to fit all the small parts, beginning with the HUD and windscreen, of which more later.
PIC 1. The underside nav lamp and speed brake, the ram for which is not seen here.
PIC 2. The nose wheel in place, with the landing lamp and taxi lamp attached this time, and behind it the forward speed brake baffle.
PIC 3. The outriggers were fitted but, when tested for balance, it was found that the main gear was about 3mm clear of the surface! The outriggers were removed, the attachment points cut back, and then re-fitted. The doors have yet to be fitted to the retraction jacks and the sponsons, and some re-touching done.
PICS 4 and 5 All wheels now touch the surface evenly !
PIC 6. All the underside parts in place, with the exception of the fuel tanks and missiles, and a couple of small antenna.
PICS 7 and 8. How the model looks so far.
Next step is to prepare the windscreen and canopy and frame, to fit after assembling and fitting the HUD. However, there's some work to do here before proceeding, as an irritating moulding seams need to be removed, and the clear parts polished, as well as address a fit problem with the canopy and its frame
PICS 9 to 11 show the areas to be tackled.
Thanks once again for your interest, and I hope to have a further progress report soon.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 207.jpg
    New Harrier build 207.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 52
  • New Harrier build 219.jpg
    New Harrier build 219.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 51
  • New Harrier build 218.jpg
    New Harrier build 218.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 53
  • New Harrier build 221.jpg
    New Harrier build 221.jpg