**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shame about that crack Terry, it's a shame some bright spark cant come up with a mending kit like you get for the cracks in the car windscreen.

Despite that you're doing a good job on the kit

thats the same type of marks i had on my black widow rear end,really sorry you have the same problem,as always your work is amazing Terry even more so considering the condition of your hands,respect sir

Thanks very much indeed chaps, glad you approve.
That bl*dy stress crack is all due to the very heavy sprue attachment points. I removed the windscreen from the sprue complete with the large lugs shown in the previous photo, to reduce any possibility of the screen cracking. But, due, I'm guessing, to the continued curve of the screen, beyond the 'half way mark', when I started to cut the off the lugs, I heard that horrible 'creak' noise, as the clear part stressed and crazed.
Hopefully, once coated in future, the crack will not be as visible. The really annoying thing is, that even with the central mould lines removed, it's still possible, under close inspection, to see the ridge, as the canopy shape actually comes to a peak!
I suppose there is a valid reason for moulding parts this way, possibly tool costs, but surely it should be possible to do so without that bl**dy seam! After all, the original price for this kit (from Hasegawa) was £40 !! - a heck of a lot for what you get, even though it's a nice kit.
Rant over, back to the work bench!

Thanks very much David.
I'm currently working on all the small bits, such as gear doors and antenna. Should have some pics in the next day or so. Almost finished, apart from making a display base to compliment the other Harrier (GR3) for my mate.

Thanks guys. Not got much done today, too busy with other things. Hope to make some noticeable progress over the weekend.

Canopy and 'screen a good as they're going to get, I reckon Evan.
Finger still f****d, but at least the swelling, and most of the pain, around the wrist has diminished. Thanks for asking mate - but reckon it's going to be a long, slow, and painful learning curve to get to even 50% of what I had before - if I'm lucky.
Know what I like about this disease?
F*** All !!!!

I'm afraid I haven't made much progress, apart from almost sorting out the fit problem with the canopy. Just my luck, a long Easter weekend, with no plans apart from modelling, and I've been laid-up with some sort of bug - still feel like cr@p.
Anyway, the canopy is sorted as best as possible, and just needs some light sanding along the port side joint of canopy and frame, and then the front frame and the seal strips will be painted.
The port, lower frame had to be bent outwards to at least partly match-up with the transparent part, and this, of course, will cause a slight fit problem when fitting the canopy to the fuselage, open or closed. I'm working on what needs to be sanded on the fuselage to allow a convincing open canopy display.
The pics show what was required to get the little blighter to sit correctly, and stay put once glued. The small gaps will be filled with Kristal Kleer. This little job involved glueing each side separately, allowing each to set before tackling the next, and took around 12 hours in total !
Thanks again for your interest, and I'll post more progress shots once I'm up to it.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 273.jpg
    New Harrier build 273.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 51
  • New Harrier build 272.jpg
    New Harrier build 272.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 53
  • New Harrier build 277.jpg
    New Harrier build 277.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 59
  • New Harrier build 275.jpg
    New Harrier build 275.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 52
Very Cool work, I hate canopy work it always takes much more time than you intend it to :) But it turned out great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back