**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane MkI "Willie McKnight" - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Hugh.

Terry, I had already resolved with reasonable certainty that the sequence was not flipped when the band was added. The question remained in my mind whether, or not, the "addition" of the band might have obliterated part of the L. That would have led to 2 possibilities: either the L was painted over and redone over the band in its original position or the L and E were moved over to miss the band. Based on the below photo that Wojtek shared in an earlier post, I'm going to go with the decision that the LE were tight up against the roundel from the start, leaving room for the addition of the band to miss the L.

242-sqdn-hurricanes.jpg

I agree with that Andy.
Note that the 'E' certainly overlaps the roundel on the nearest aircraft, and on the center aircraft, which appears to be Bader's LE-D. I don't think I've ever seen a code letter intruding into the 'Sky' band on either Hurricanes or Spitfires, although partial obliteration of the serial number, by the band, was quite common, where the 'missing' digits weren't re-painted. With the space available, the 'L' would be very close to the front edge of the band, but would, I think, just fit without intruding into the band.
I'm fairly sure I have at least one pic in at least one book, of a later formation shot, with the 'Sky' band, taken from the starboard side, and possibly a ground shot, and/or some video footage - I'm still looking through my references as time permits. But personally, I'd go along with your decision, and hav the codes as shown in the pic, with the band close up to the 'L'.

This level of detective work is beyond me! If no further information is dug up, I'd probably go with the L just clear of the sky band and encroaching the E onto the roundel if necessary as evidenced by the in-flight pics and described by the Aviaeology instructions.

I like the detective work John. Part of the hobby for me.

Decals are now on. Verdict: 50% satisfied. The Italeri decals are nicely printed but I have an issue with the nose art being far too big. Discussions with Terry at Aviaeology also suggest that the "flatter" A, seen in the above pic of McKnight standing next to his a/c, was a later style so would therefore be commensurate with the late 1940 scheme that I'm depicting. Note the difference between that "A" and the kit one. The Aviaeology decal sheet, as shown in the profile that I posted earlier, has the correct A. On top of that, I got some wrinkles in the fuselage code and roundels that remained as the setting solution cured. Seems they did not like the fabric valleys between the ribbing.

15102401.jpg
15102402.jpg
15102403.jpg

Looking very nice Andy. for the purposes of display, or even competition, I don't think the size of the nose art would be noticed, and, comparing it to the photo of his aircraft, it doesn't really look too big, although I agree that it is a touch over-sized. Can't see the decal wrinkles in the pics, and overall it looks the biz so far.

Comparison of the nose art to actual. Note positioning relative to the starter crank opening and the two breather holes.

15102501.jpg
feature16-02.JPG

Here's an extreme closeup with oblique lighting to show the wrinkles. This one's not going into any competition.

15102502.jpg

Ah - nose art !
I'd presumed you meant the skeleton - didn't see the nose art properly in the pics ! Yes, the boot etc is far too big !
I see what you mean now about the wrinkles - darned shame, but good enough for the cabinet.

Looks great Andy! I'm sure you've tried this but I've had some success blotting out the wrinkles using setting solution and a cotton bud. The differences between the actual nose art and decal are very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back