**** DONE: 1/48 Hurricane MkI "Willie McKnight" - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Steph.

Work continues to get this thing ready for paint. The fit of the upper cowl was not to my liking so some filling was required. In addition, there was a small chip in the edge of the cowl that needed to be filled and this I did with a small piece of sheet styrene, seen in white.

15100903.jpg

Before gluing on the windscreen, I had to fix another issue that I didn't catch up to now. The gun sight provided with the kit depicts the later style with the square reflector glass that was not introduced until 1941.

15100902.jpg

This was a simple fix. I rounded the square base with a scalpel and file and replaced the square reflector glass with an elliptical one cut from a sheet of clear plastic.

15100901.jpg

The windscreen is now glued on and rescribing is happening at the filled areas. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks guys. Not getting anything done so far this weekend with other priorities taking over.

Got the undersides done today. The Sky area was post shaded to look worn, though hard to see in the pics. The port wing was then masked off and painted black with a dash of white then all was coated in Future and set aside. The props has also been completed though the manufacturer decals are not on the blades.

15101201.jpg
15101202.jpg
15101203.jpg

Starting to look like a proper BoB warbird! What was the reason behind the half black undersides on the RAF aircraft during BoB? ID purposes?

Good stuff Andy.
John, the black port wing came in after the BoB, in November 1940, and was a you say, for I.D. purposes. Before the BoB, up to June 1940, there had been a half black underside scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back