**** DONE: 1/48 Ilyushin IL-2 Stormovik - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK so enough with the smart A$$ing around, got some paint on the outside.

Attachments

• il_22.JPG
    il_22.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IL_23.JPG
    IL_23.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IL_24.JPG
    IL_24.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IL_25.JPG
    IL_25.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 99
A little bit more. should have the skis on by tomorrow.

Attachments

• IL_26.JPG
    IL_26.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IL_27.JPG
    IL_27.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 107
  • IL_28.JPG
    IL_28.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IL_29.JPG
    IL_29.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IL_30.JPG
    IL_30.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 93
Well whites on and the skis are on. that has been the most challenging of the kit. The strut support at the rear of the ski requires modification to get it to fit correctly. It is too long for the for skis to set in a ground display. The diagram called for cutting the attachment brace and I ended up cutting it too much before I got the issue worked out. Also the cannons I cut brass tubing to take the place of the plastic. I broke one for the cannon barrels and the brass looks better anyway.

Attachments

• IL_31.JPG
    IL_31.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IL_32.JPG
    IL_32.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 94
  • IL_33.JPG
    IL_33.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IL_34.JPG
    IL_34.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 97
Moving right along, there just is not much to decaling this thing.

Attachments

• IL_35.JPG
    IL_35.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IL_36.JPG
    IL_36.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IL_37.JPG
    IL_37.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 84
I tried to do a wash with a black and it did not go well. cleaning it up with a toothbrush and soap pulled a lot of decal off so I had to order another set. I think one if the wash was more watered down and two if it was on a gloss surface that it might have worked. it was pretty wattered down but I guess not enough. Not my big area but I wanted to try.

Too bad Don but that's how we learn. A wash is best applied to a gloss coat if the intent is to remove most of it and leave it in the panel lines and rivets. I use thin washes on flat surfaces to simulate oil stains and for that I out a small amount on a thin brush and just dab the surface.

Haha I took a big brush and covered the thing and then cried OH NO. Ran to the bathroom and it got a bath. no biggie though I found a set of decals with the identical markings,not there are much.

I never thought of tempra paint.... I need to try that one day soon. Thanks, Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back