**** DONE: 1/48 Il-2 Sturmovik – Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
User Name Jeff Hunt
Name Jeff
Category Novice
Kit Academy Accurate Miniatures # 12286
Scale 1/48
Accessories Out of the box build

For when the LaGG is done

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0001.JPG

I will not start this one till the LaGG 3 is complete.

Still deciding on wheels or skis.

Cheers,

Jeff

Found these two aircraft profiles and love them both so I will most likely choose one of them for this build. I was wondering if anyone had the appropriate white 6 in their spares box that I could purchase from them. I know I do not have anything that comes close.

il2-sp-fl-aml-3view-col-z18-6winterdotted.jpg

il2-sp-fl-aml-3view-col-z18-borodin6.jpg

Cheers,

jeff

Got the canopies all masked this afternoon. They look sloppy because excess tape has been folded around to the inside and can been seen through the canopy. A trip to the hobby shop tomorrow to pick up some paint and then we will see what happens next. I have the black but need to get the green.

I am wondering about interior colour of Il-2. I read on a model review site that some feel that the Il-2 was a flat aluminum inside so now I am a bit confused. The model instructions say grey/blue. Is this one of those issues that depending where the actual aircraft was manufactured would determine what colour the interior would be?

Any and all help with this would be appreciated.

IMG_0016.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

With the early Il-2 cockpit colours is always a problem. It is suggested that it was a blue-grey paint similar to FS 36187. However we should remember that the plane appeared at the beginnning of the war. The demand for the plane was so great that factories were forced to work very quickly. Taking the shortage of proper paints at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War into consideration ... it could be possible there were cockpits of the plane painted with different paints that were just on hand. Also it can't be excluded these stayed unpainted at all. And it might have been the reason for the info the cockpit was a flat aluminum inside. I heard also about black , steel , green and light blue cockpits. The silver paint was used for pre-war cokpits of wooden planes rather. But the early Il-2 was of metal and even primers for metal structures weren't silver. In my opinion the colour scheme of the cockpit was more complex. However I would say it was more secure to follow the light blue-grey colour.

Cool kit! I thought I was being ambitious with two models but you're taking on three and it's still early in the GB!

Steady progress has been made over the past few days. The wings and tailplanes have been installed as as the engine section. Rocket rails attached and gaps sealed up and the bottom has been painted.

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Red stars with white borders have been ordered and should arrive mid week coming. I have located a white six out of the Ki-84 kit I completed. It is the wrong font but it is the only white six I have so I may be forced to use it, a compromise I can live with.

Canopies have been painted as has the landing gear, the tires and hubs are shown above. Still need to paint the propellor and spinner as well as a few other bits. Rockets are ready to be installed.

Cheers.

Jeff

Lordy you're fast Jeff. I'm still in GB22 mode and I don't know if I'll have time to finish that. Nice job on the cockpit. As for spare VVS decals, I have zilch. Would really like to see the polka dotty scheme. :twisted:

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back