**** DONE: 1/48 Ju87R-2 "Moshaisk" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really impressive! I've been lurking about lately, and have to say that once again you have taken the lead in pushing a technique to a fine point.
Kudos, my friend!

Some Nice work Andy!Really like the louver/flap door touch and the addition's to the bomb racks Oh and I forgot the actuator's fixes and the copit :) Ya kill'in me :)

Thanks Kevin.

Did a bunch today and am truly on the finishing touches. The white was finished and selectively flaked off then everything was given an overall flat coat. Here are overall views of the top and bottom as they appeared after I pealed the masks:

14112105.jpg
14112106.jpg

A few detail shots follow. If you are observant, you might see that I modified the red pattern on the spinner. I figured the Hasegawa instruction sheet was correct in showing the red and white segmented into quarters rather than halves.

14112102.jpg

In these close-ups, you'll see the finished severe flaking on the heavy traffic areas and around the gun access panels. There's also a very fine misting of an earthy colour to represent dirt carried onto the wing by the service crews.

14112103.jpg
14112104.jpg

Here's a close-up of the final painting of the drop tank mounts.

14112107.jpg

The wheel spats got the same treatment as the upper surfaces and also received a heavy dusting of an earth colour on and near the bottoms.

14112109.jpg

I stole some drop tanks from some other kits and added some support straps and fuel lines. I decided to go with RLM 76 for these. After painting, they were installed in the home made racks. After these pictures were taken, I remembered to add the small tubular extensions off the front that seem to be evident on most of these early tanks.

14111901.jpg
14112101.jpg
14112108.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... that is absolutely beautiful work Andy! The weathering on the white is done masterfully. Now an observation and I mean this with the utmost respect to the modeler... There seems to be a difference in wear between the top and bottom. The light blue on the bottom looks to be a little pristine given the amount of wear and tear on the top. I think some of this is natural because the upper surfaces were trod upon but I wonder if we, as modelers, aren't giving the bottom surfaces the proper attention. Is it because of a lack of photographic documentation? I know I tend to give the bottoms a pass because I don't have any pictures to refer to. And maybe Andy has already considered this and is planning to give the Stuka a full body wash... apologies if I have offended or have spoken prematurely. It really is a splendid paint job!

No offence taken at all John. In fact, I appreciate your interest and have a couple of points in response: First, I think you know that the white "paint" was actually a water based formula that was often crudely applied in the field and subject to plenty of wear due to scuffs, hand-holds, airflow, and frequent access panel removals. The underside received no such coating and retained the original camo. Secondly, I'm of the opinion that the German factory finishes, except toward the end of the war, were of reasonably good quality and tended not to suffer excessive chipping except in well-traveled areas. I tend to keep paint chipping to a reasonable minimum unless photo evidence proves the contrary. Third, yes, I too tend to pay less attention to the underside as it's not as frequently seen but I do like to apply plenty of oil, grime, and exhaust stains where appropriate. Here's an earlier Spitfire V I did that did not escape such treatment:

12091417.jpg

Finally, keep watching as I ain't done yet! The bottom so far has just received an initial black discolouration around the engine and a bit of the dust treatment but I do plan on adding a bit more staining.

Finally, keep watching as I ain't done yet! The bottom so far has just received an initial black discolouration around the engine and a bit of the dust treatment but I do plan on adding a bit more staining.

Heh... that thought entered my mind as I was typing but I thought it was worth getting your thoughts on it! Your points are well taken and I look forward to seeing more work on the Stuka!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back