**** DONE: 1/48 Il-2 Sturmovik – Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The steady progress continues on this one. Last evening I was able to get the lighter green sprayed onto the upper surfaces. The black/green will be done shortly.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

After this mornings update my plans to head out for coffee fell through so it was back to the workbench and I was able to apply the black paint to the top side of the Il-2.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Once this was done it was time for a quick bite of lunch and then I took the dog for a short walk. Too hot and humid today to do too much outdoors. Once I was back home the black paint had tried so I sat down and started to apply the winter camouflage. I decided to use a small brush as I have a very basic airbrush and getting consistently correct white patches would have been a real challenge. Hard to tell when enough was enough but I eventually decided that this is about as good as I could get it.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

While the white was drying I put the landing gear together and eventually attached same to the model. Assorted bits and bobs were attached as well as securing the propellor. Once all the pieces had been attached and painted it was allowed to dry and then a coat of Future sealed the paint.

It dried quickly in my sunroom which allowed me to then put a few decals on, the only one that really shows in the next photos are the dive angle lines on the top of the engine compartment. I am still awaiting the arrival of my white outlined red stars. Once they arrive and I touch up a couple of places I think the Il-2 will be done a ready to be added to the GB.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Once this one is finished that will be it for me for this group build. I have a 1/48th B-24J sitting in the basement that is calling my name........

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks fellas, it was a lot of fun doing the winter camo. I was a bit worried when I started as it looked very weird when partially finished but I do like the overall look now that it is finished.

Now I just have to wait for Canada Post to make the delivery.

Cheers,

Jeff

Karl, usually Russian P-39s wore the origin US OD/NG camo. These weren't repainted overall but at areas with the US national signs only if markings were applied of course.

Very interesting color scheme and you've done a great job of it!

The red stars finally arrived today. Rural mail delivery can suck sometimes but a phone call to Canada Post this afternoon complaining of no mail since last Friday moved things into the mailbox within a couple of hours.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back