**** DONE: 1/48 Ju87R-2 "Moshaisk" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasgawa
Model Type: Ju-87B-2 Stuka
Aftermarket addons: Eduard Cockpit Detail Set

My second entry in this GB will be this Ju87R-2 of 3/StG 5.

ju87_006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few profiles and a couple of pics around for this aircraft. The above profile, though not great, is the only one that shows the aircraft letter "L" in yellow outlined in black which is consistent with the typical 3rd Staffel markings and with the second picture below. This model will be a good opportunity to try another winter scheme and I may do that hairspray technique that I've seen successfully done.

air_ju87_26.jpg
J9+LL from Osprey 74.jpg

I will be using the kit decals for this build and the only issue I have with them is that the "Moshaisk" scrawl on the nose is placed on a rectangular bright green background. I have my doubts that it was done this way on the actual aircraft as I would think it more likely that the lettering was painted onto the original 70 or 71 green and then the winter camo was painted around that. I'd very much welcome any evidence on this either way, otherwise I may elect to try and carefully paint out the bright green on the decal.

Andy, nice...love the Stukas, so ugly they're beautiful. I've got one from the Ukraine but I painted it a very light whiteish green. Been so long don't remember the color name or why that color???

I will be using the kit decals for this build and the only issue I have with them is that the "Moshaisk" scrawl on the nose is placed on a rectangular bright green background. I have my doubts that it was done this way on the actual aircraft as I would think it more likely that the lettering was painted onto the original 70 or 71 green and then the winter camo was painted around that. I'd very much welcome any evidence on this either way, otherwise I may elect to try and carefully paint out the bright green on the decal.

The enlargerd area of the image shows clearly that the winter camo was applied over the standard LW camo for Ju-87. So.. I don't think the "Moshaisk" inscription was applied on any special rectangular green background. Just it was painted onto the summer camo methinks.

J9+LL from Osprey 74_.jpg

Andy, thinking the same about my Hs. I know the Germans were unprepared for the Russian winter and used plain white-wash to give some type of cammo. Do standard green cammo and then a medium coating of white over that??

Absolutely Mike but that's not the issue. The issue is that the decal provided with the kit with the inscription "Moshaisk" is not on a clear background but rather on a bright green one that looks nothing like RLM 70 or 71. I'll posts some pics when I'm less lazy.

EDIT: Here's a pic of the decal. I need to find a way to make the bright green look like 70 or 71. Maybe a 0.2mm felt tip pen if I can get the right colour.

IMG_7566.JPG

Last edited:
The camo on this one doesn't worry me Glenn as there is a lot of forgiveness in the winter schemes. If I screw up, it'll just look more weathered!

This is strange as I thought I posted this yesterday but when I checked, apparently not. Then I discovered the handy-dandy "Restore Auto-saved Content" button and it brought the entire post back. Nice! Had to replace the pics though. Anyhooooo........

I made a start on this one a couple of days ago. The cockpit, which is somewhat basic, was sprayed RLM 02 and the cockpit detail set bits added. The detail set is a bit of a disappointment in that throttle, which is very prominent in the cockpit and not very well molded in the kit, is not included with the PE. I may need to spiff this up a bit. The bag for the spent rounds has had the edges filed round, some creases filed in, and a wire rim added to make this look more like the cloth sack that it really was.

14080801.jpg
14080802.jpg
14080803.jpg

I always like how the Eduard PE instrument panels turn out.

14080804.jpg

The pedals that Hasegawa provide are a bit of a joke so I cut these off and used some spare ones I had. These are probably the wrong type for a B model Stuka but I couldn't find the spares I thought I had from my Bf110 which would have been the right ones. Anyway, these turned out better than the kit ones.

14080805.jpg
14081001.jpg
14081002.jpg

That's it for now. I'll likely be spending a bit more time adding details to this area since it will be quite visible. I've collected some references and w

Users who are viewing this thread

Back