**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G6 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, as you all can see, the rudder aerial mast was broken during my ham handed assembly. I looked at scavenging one from another kit, but I just could not find one I had confidence in using. My concerns were: 1) the right shape/size and 2) a solid joint once it was on.

So, I started by sanding the rudder down to a smooth, flat side. I then carefully marked the center of the area with my dubbing needle. I then drilled out a hole with the intention of inserting a piece of solid core wire to reinforce the joint. I next took a piece of coarsly stretched sprue. I cut it down to an approximate size (little longer intentionally). I carefully marked and drilled a hole in that piece. I then mixed a tiny amount of 5 min epoxy and used just a small amount on the rudder. I then slide the wire into that hole and then the stretched sprue. I let it all setup over night. Next morning (today) I got in the room and started carefully using sanding sticks to get final shape. The joint was very solid. I got the final shape down to something that looked pretty good compared to the Zveda F kit. Overall, I am damned happy with the fix.

Stretched Sprue:
SprueStart.JPG

Final Fix:
NewAntennaRudderSide.JPG

RudderAntennaRgtFront.JPG

Ok, I have the aerial wire on from rudder to mast at the cockpit. I have a hole drilled for the fuselage aerial exit. No matter how I try to get the fuse lead glued to the rudder to mast aerial, it always comes apart. Andy, what do you use to make that joint? I have tried superglue, expoxy, and PVA. Using the thread you recommended, hence, asking you. No luck yet and this is getting frustrating.

Last edited:
I just use thin CA glue Dale and have not had any issues. It's a tricky operation. With the model secure, I hold the thread tight and with my other hand dab on a very small amount of the CA. Still holding tight (since movement will not allow the CA to set up) I then put the CA applicator down, dip a brush into some accelerator, and then dab it onto the joint which then solidifies instantly. The excess then can be cut off. Here's how it turned out on Black 12.

IMG_7688.JPG

Great fix on the tail!

Aerial work is something that I need to improve upon. I know there are details on those aerials that I'm not capturing, especially at the attachment points. Currently I am using stretched sprue for my aerials and it is a bit of a pain. I usually use dabs of either white glue (if the attachment point is on a clear part such as a canopy) or CA glue. I'll usually start with attaching one end and letting the end complete dry before trying the attach the other end.

Andy, John,
Andy, I completely understand what you mean by no movement and a firm holding of the plane and aerials. I ordered some Legos and they should be here by tomorrow. I am going to setup a jig to hold it all in place with the Legos and the Lego plate. Hopefully, that will help with getting the aerial.
John, I am not even worried about the attachment details for this one. I am just trying to get the darned aerial in place first. If I can get it all there with the Legos, I may try to get the attachment point details done as well. I will keep you all posted on the progress and pics of what I come up with with the Legos.

Like the new tail 'bit' Dale, good stuff, be real careful your tape doesn't pull the decals off!

Hey, Wayne,
I was real careful with the tape over the decals. I sealed the bird with a couple of flat coats and "de-stickied" the tape on my jeans first. The tape is off with no damage to the decals. I learned that lesson the hard way more than once!

Sealing the decals doesn't always work, though I'm glad it did in your case. The weak link can be the decal-to-paint interface and if the sealer sticks well to the decal and the tape sticks well to the sealer, you can still get separation if the decal has not adhered well enough to the model. It's always risky to tape over a decal and I avoid it as much as possible.

Hey, Wayne,
I was real careful with the tape over the decals. I sealed the bird with a couple of flat coats and "de-stickied" the tape on my jeans first. The tape is off with no damage to the decals. I learned that lesson the hard way more than once!

Good stuff, I know your pain alright! Been there done that.....and Andy makes an excellent point, these things are learnt the hard way unfortunately.

Andy, the He-219 link you sent me so many months ago saved my arse today. I ordered some Legos and they arrived yesterday. I used them tonight to make up a "jig" to hold the 109 while I attempted to get the aerial(s) on. Man, did that work great! Still had to be real careful, but it sure made the difference! Pics below:
LegoJig1.JPG

This pic is with a piece of wax paper over the bird to avoid any CA drips. This was not really an issue, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Aerial is on. Not perfect, but on. I wound up using the jig for a bunch of the final fiddly bits (DF loop, aileron counter wgts, Drop tank, etc).
LegoJig2.JPG

Ok, this one is DONE! I had to make a new DF loop. The PE one just folded up in an instant. Then the plastic one was sacrificed to the carpet monster. So, I stretched some sprue and wrapped it around a toothpick while it was still warm. A few final tweaks got the shape looking decent. This one is not as delicate as the kit piece, but the carpet is still munching away on it.
So, what did I learn with this build? Luftwaffe schemes are a challenge, but with practice and patience they can be done. Is this one perfect? Of course not. But, this one came out far better than I expected when I started the build. My fear of luftwaffe schemes is put to bed finally.

The Eduard kit is damned nice kit. Fit was excellent all the way around. Eduard support is AWESOME! My sprue is on the way for the short shot barrels. Oh, and EagleCal decals ROCK! I enjoyed this one so much, I already ordered another one.

Required shots:
Rqrd1.JPG
Rqrd2.JPG
Rqrd3.JPG
Rqrd4.JPG
Rqrd5.JPG
Rqrd6.JPG
Rqrd7.JPG
Rqrd8.JPG

Additional shots:
FinishedBellyDetails.JPG
FinishedBellyFront.JPG
FinishedBellyRear.JPG

Not at all, Andy. I am always open to constructive criticism.

Do let us know on the customer service Dale. I tried it once several years ago but came up dry. There was a guy here from Eduard a while ago who offered a link for help but I haven't seen him since.

I got an email that the =sprue is on the way. I will update once it is in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back