**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109F-2 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That would be correct Geo. As for the canopy frame, I think the standard camo scheme was such that the lighter coloured splinter covered the whole canopy frame.

WNF%20Camo_0449.jpg

Thanks guys. Near disaster, the innards of my brand new bottle of RLM04 had somehow become solid, I could barely jam a toothpick into the paint. The freak out begins. I started by poking many, many holes into the hard paint and added water(Model Master Acryl)...shake, shake shake. After an hour, the lump could move. I poked more holes, added more water and shook some more. Poked, added and shook for about the length of an NHL hockey game and I finally had a bottle of usable paint albeit, quite thin. Many, many coats later.....

001.JPG

....now, I should have asked before I started painting, but were the tops of the wing tips painted yellow? The instructions say yes but I've seen more photos that say no. I have, However seen a few that also show yellow on the top.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg

Geo

My experiment using a lighter shade of yellow dry brushed with a darker shade doesn't show up here very well but it might show up better when I add some white-wash to the cowling. The fuselage band in the photo on the first page doesn't look toned down or at least, very much...

001.JPG
002.JPG

Geo

OK. So there is something that doesn't seem to be correrct. The Yellow 6, the yellow band and the Gruppe wavy line are dark. It indicates that the pic was taken with the isochromatic negative. Therefore the yellow colour and the red one ( the devil's head ) look almost the same, I mean ... dark. So... if the entire nose of the kite was of yellow as well that the part should be dark too. Also the wing tip that is seen in the foreground. But these aren't dark but almost white. Of course we can assume the undersides of the engine cowling and wing tips were still of yellow. However it is not sure looking at the picture. Additionally , I don't think the tops of wing tips were of yellow. It is kinda inconsequential. The white camo was applied to hide the plane aginst the snow. The yellow colour is quite good noticable against the white.
Back to the engine cowling..... it can be assumed the entire cowling was of yellow during the summer and its top and sides were coloured with the white. In the case the top and sides of the cowling should have looked like being white ( light ). But these are a little bit darker than the undersides of the cowling that might have been left yellow. Also the top and sides seem to be quite patchy what may indicate the white was applied sloppily. The reason for the top cover of the engine looks darker might be either the dark camo of RLM74/75 as the undercoat or the yellow that looks dark with the kind of negative. But why the bottom part is light then ?

Just my three cents. I know Jan would give two.

Of course the post above in my opinion only. But I have found a shot of the Yellow 1 of the 9./JG54 wearing the summer camo scheme. I would say the Yellow 6 wore the similar one at that time. Having the winter camo applied she could get the appearance seen in the image of her.

The pic source : FalkeEins - The Luftwaffe blog : November 2012

bf109F JG54.jpg

Looking good there Geo. In conversation I had with Wayne, I'm of the understanding this unit did not paint yellow on the upper wing tips. I hope I have this right but maybe Wayne will drop by to confirm.

Getting all the wee addy onny things painted up. One thing I never noticed until Wojtek posted the color profile was the partial white(?) spinner back plate. When looking at the photo, it's looks to be the same color as the cowling so now I have two question. 1) is it yellow or white and B) how far along the back plate does it go?

Geo

Getting all the wee addy onny things painted up. One thing I never noticed until Wojtek posted the color profile was the partial white(?) spinner back plate. When looking at the photo, it's looks to be the same color as the cowling so now I have two question. 1) is it yellow or white and B) how far along the back plate does it go?

Geo

I have had a look at the detail ... and must say there wasn't any rule for painting the back plate ( ring ) of the spinner. Generally, the entire spinner was of RLM70 and there was a white quarter applied usually. Also there appeared white spinners especially for the North Africa TO. A couple of profiles shows both the engine cowling and the spinner painted yellow. In the case the ring was of the same colour but I didn't see a picture of a such painted plane to be honest. Most of them had the spinner of the RLM70 with the white quarter while the engine cowling was of yellow. Here are images of yellow engine cowling and spinners of RLM70 and white one. The colours of the ring can be seen clearly.

YC1.jpg

YC2.jpg

YC3.jpg

The white quarter could be applied more or less accurate and either covering a spinner up to the front edge of the back ring only

Sg1.jpg

Sg2.jpg

or covering the back ring as well....

WQ1.jpg

WQ2.jpg

WQ3.jpg

I have said the white quarter could be applied quite carelessly contrary to these seen in pics above...

Ns1.JPG

Ns2.jpg

Ns3.jpg

Ns4.jpg

Ns5.jpg

Looking at the picture of the Yellow 6 I'm not sure if the ring was of yellow as you suggested. The reason for that is because I'm not convinced the engine cowling was of yellow at all. Therefore I would say it was of white like the profile suggests. Why I think that ? ... it is very likely there was the white quarter applied on the spinner ( please look at the pic of the Yellow 1 above ). Unfortunately the engine was stopped in the way the spinner shows us the side without the white area. You may ask why there is the white part of the ring noticed while the quarter isn't seen there. It is because the spinner might have been dismounted for maintenece of the prop etc.. and then attached as a moved part. Here are examples of a such displacement. A spinner of a Bf 109F and Bf 109E. As far as how far along the back plate it went... judging by the pic I would say it was the part of the ring limited by spacing between two prop baldes. Just like the white quarter was.

MQ2.jpg

MQ1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back