**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109F-2 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clipped the firewall as per Andy's(Crimea_River) thread and greatly improved the test fit...HOWEVER...

003.JPG

...the rear of the wing/fuselage(A) fit may be an issue, I'll know once the wing parts are joined. The wing parts...not sure if I have to deal with(B) or (C) to get the wing parts to fit flush. I'll work on this shortly.

001.JPG

Geo

Good stuff.
I've not built this kit but would it be an option to fit the upper wings to the fuselage and then attach the lower wing? It's a system that's worked well for me on kits that have a shall we say 'approximate' fit.
Cheers
Steve

"A" should be easy to deal with. Either trim it or fill the gap with card. I don't recall having an issue here though.

As for "B" and "C", look closely with a trial fit and see. Maybe all you need to do is notch the straight wall of "C" to fit over the rib. I didn't experience this because I had to make my wells round anyway for the F-4 model.

Thanks guys. All seems to be good now Andy, a bit of work on C and D. Wojtek, was the leather cover thangee present inside the wheel well of the F-2. My references, including the F-2 in the Luftfahrtmuseum in Laatzen, Germany don't show one.

Geo

Wojtek, was the leather cover thangee present inside the wheel well of the F-2. My references, including the F-2 in the Luftfahrtmuseum in Laatzen, Germany don't show one.

Geo

The detail is omitted by kit manufacturers very often. To be honest no one 109 in any scale have it but Zvezda has made the canvas in the wheel bays as memo serves. It is correct methinks although pictures don't show it usually. Sometimes it can be noticed and sometimes can't. It might have been removed by the maintence crews.

F2_a.jpg

F2.JPG

Thanks again Wojtek. Added a hatch behind the pilots seat as the molded piece was barely noticeable...

004.JPG

...and what I thought was flash on the rudder and removed, turned out to be the trim tab, albiet, poorly molded so I added another, some fine tuning needed...

003.JPG
Untitled.jpg

Wing parts are together and need a bit of refinement at the rear.

Geo

Good stuff Geo. While you're on the rudder, you might consider toning down the very pronounced ribs that ICM seems to think are there. I sanded mine down to leave just enough to suggest the presence of ribs.

Thanks guys and thanks Andy, I was wondering how to deal with those. With regards to the rudder trim tab, if that's what it is. I was just going through a few books and I can't really notice it in period photos of the F-2 though it is always shown in profile drawings and on later models and it's painted red. This photo of a stripped down tail of a G model shows that it is not movable.

Untitled.jpg

Also, about the exhaust shields. I notice some aircraft have one on each side and some one the port side only. Mine, in the photo on page 1 appears to have the shield on the port only.

Geo

The trim tabs aren't movable but bent on the ground to suit an individual aircraft's characteristics. The exhaust shields on standard 109s have the one on the port side extended and bent downward to prevent gases from getting sucked into the supercharger intake. I've not seen starboard ones like that except on 109s kitted out as nightfighters, in which case they act as flame dampers.

Was not aware the tabs were non-movable. Appendages are on and rudder is sanded down. just gotta figure out how to mount the exhausts without the engine. Probably mount it around some plastic strip and the glue it in.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back