**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109F-2 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the pictures I've seen the "yellow 6" white is veiled, is a great effect for a white finish very complicated but very effective I'll explain as I do:

"to that effect that look white but looks camouflage background is veiled, it is like going getting very thin veils on camouflage paint very diluted 70-80% or so, fast thin, even coat without much entertainment, like varnish, drying well and another layer until you have the finish you are looking for, so I did it for the LA-5 Merono in the winter of 1944"

Yikes, a little slow here. Thanks Glenn, I'll be sure to take a look at your build. Finished the Rata and now it's time to get started. As I don't have a clue as to when this aircraft was made, any guesses as to what color the cockpit interior should be? The change over from RLM02 to RLM66 was November, '41 and the aircraft will be depicted as "Winter '41". Gotta go to PG tomorrow so nothing will be started until later that same day...ish. Going back to the books to see when the squadron received the -2s. Might be an answer there.

Geo

While waiting for some input on cockpit color(which I really hope is RLM66 as I have about 3 drops of 02 left), I started joing the various fuselage pieces together...

1.jpg

...what's the RLM66 paint doing in the middle of the fuselage? Glad you asked. If you've followed my last two builds you'll know I had a reaction with Tamiya Clear Flat over Future(if you haven't followed my last two builds, I had a reaction with Tamiya Clear Flat over Future). Well sir(s), I found a bottle of Tamiya Clear Gloss so I'm going to gloss half the 66 patch with it and half with Future. When dry, I'll coat them with the flat and see if there's a reaction.

Geo

The Tamiya Clear Gloss is the one I had that wouldn't dry on me Geo. It stuck to my finger after 3 days.

Odd Andy as mine dried within an hour. Maybe Tamiya released some dodgy paints at some point. Speaking of which, my test: Future on the left, Tamiya Clear on the right coated with the dreaded Tamiya Flat(ignore the sloppy paint work in the middle as I was in a rush to get this done.) As can be seen, the Future side does show some discoloration but know where near the disasters on the two preceding builds...

003.JPG

I tried to color over the part of the I.P. that I believe Eduard was trying to make RLM41, a greyish silver that is described in a book I mentioned in a previous post, but the paint will not stick so I'm going to leave it. I've only seen the dark I.P.s but maybe Eduard knows something or read the same book...

002.JPG

I'm going to go with RLM66 for the cockpit innards, as that is what I've seen in books and other builds, going against ICMs call for RLM02. As for the camo colors, I'm going to go with the greys, the reason being, I've found two other white washed aircraft from the same squadron and even though the overcoat has worn some, I can't see anything that looks like a darker color poking through, just shades of light grey in the B&W photos. I may be wrong but it's just my interpretation.

Geo

Geo, I tend to paint things before I use PE, unless the PE is not painted, in which case I'll add it first. Before gluing, I'll scratch a bit of the paint off and score the PE so it sticks. I think you're safe with the RLM 66, though there is evidence of the use of 02 in 109F's.

Thanks Andy. I know it's been a while but how did you find the fit of your ICM kit? I've got flash o' plenty. I've just started test fitting some parts and found that the cockpit floor tab wouldn't fit into the slot of the firewall. I tried to file it thinner and in the end cut the tab off. The cannon cover stood too high so I sanded the bottom a bit and this really improved the sit. The top(bottom?) of the engine was flash over so I filed that out. I'm not to concerned about a pretty engine, I just need someplace to mount the exhausts. The lack of mounting pins is a wee bit disconcerting but sometimes they hinder more than help. I thinned out the seat pan edges by about half. Nothing to show yet, maybe tonight in the A.M..

Geo

Quite challenging around the nose area Geo. Just flipped through my pics and I vaguely recall having to trim the bottom of the firewall to make the wings sit properly.

Patience and lots of trial fitting and a bit of gentle persuasion are in order.

Yep, this one will require lots of patience. Thinned seat mounted...

005.JPG

...lots of bendy P.E. parts, glad I bought this thang...

007.JPG

...first bendy part about to be bended. Following Andy's build((Crimea_River), link above), I'm going to remove the trim wheel and build my own...

009.JPG

...don't know if we'll call this the prototype or the finish product. I'll decide after it's been scrubbed up and painted

012.JPG

For Andy when he pops in again. I couldn't really tell by looking at your photos but did you keep this piece(red arrow)? It looks like it but I just want to make sure. Eduard P.E. instructions don't show it.

120225 Full Engine and Pit.jpg

Geo

Good start Geo. I can't honestly remember what I did with that trim wheel support but I'm willing to bet that I cut it off and used a replacement piece from the Eduard PE sheet. Here's a pic of the real thing, unfortunately obscured a bit by the seatbelt.

Bf109F4 Cockpit 6.jpg

Thanks Wayne and thanks for the photo Andy. It helps a lot and I'm going back to your suggestion of 70/71/76, modified. While looking for info for another builder, I found the same photo of my aircraft in another book with the caption "...modified scheme of 70 and 71 upper surfaces over 76 under surfaces of this Bf 109F of 7./JG 54 has been over painted..." so it's back to the scheme as shown in Post#17.

Geo

I think the molded part of the trim wheel looks pretty good actually. Maybe place your part on top of it so that you don't have to recreate two pieces?

Thanks guys. Just did a 1400km, two day round trip to Kamloops to pick up the missus so no modeling but I did manage to get the trim wheel done before I left...

001.JPG

...not perfect but it will be behind the other part and against the panel.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back