**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109F-2 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks for the info Wojtek and thank you Wayne. Deecals and more fiddly stuff today. The antenna mast was short shot so I'm making a new one.

Geo

What a gold mine of info you have there Wojtek. The third pic from the bottom shows an interesting variation of the trop filter that I've not seen before. It looks like the clam shells on the front have been removed or is it a field mod of some kind?

The origin caption of the picture says... Bf 109 in Wiener Neustadter Flugzeugwerke factory. However the two small air scoops indicate a Bf 109G or later but not the F variant. Also the 5th,6th and the 9th images from the bottom present a later variant of Bf109. Just used them to show the variations at painting of the white quarter. According to my knowledge this filter may not be the one you think I'm afraid. It could be an extended forward standard air intake used for the Bf 109V-30 Werk No. 5716 letter code ND+IE for example. But I might be wrong and it is really the trop filter without the front clam shells.

Actually on closer look, it does not appear to be the trop filter, which had open sides and thin braces which attached the extension to the fuselage. I don't really know what that one is.

Scratch antenna mast and landing gear...

005.JPG

...seven decals to go, fiddly bits, and staining.

007.JPG

Geo

Decals are done, clear parts painted and drying, exhaust and guns stains are on.

001.JPG

I'll give it a blast of flat in a few hours and then rig the antenna though I'm not sure how my home made mast will stand up to tension.

Geo

Thanks guys, some touch ups and the antenna and then the final photos. Still pondering how to deal with the antenna mast. There wasn't a notch to mount it in and I used the thinnest plastic sheet I could find so pinning it isn't an option. I've notch out the rear clear piece which has been coated in Future so we'll see how it goes.

004.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
If you used the thinnest plastic sheet you may have a problem with bending of a such thin piece. I would suggest sticking a straightaway of a thin copper wire with a CA glue to the leading edge of the antenna mast. Leave the wire a little bit longer at the bottom. In the way you will get a set pin for the mast and make it more stiff. Also you may try to fit the wire as the leading edge of the antenna mast. In the case you will have to sand down the existed leading edge flat ( if you already made it round ). Some putty can be needed as well. The easiest way of making the set pin is just to cut out the mast again with the set pin at the bottom together of one piece of plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back