**** DONE: 1/48 Kittyhawk Mk.III - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Username: le_steph40
First name: Stéphane
Category: intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Curtiss Warhawk P-40K-1-CU (Kittyhawk Mk.III-RAF)
Aftermarket addons: Sky Models decals and Eduard seatbelts

Hello,

I have almost finished my MS406 in GB#23 (in time ...) and my subject in this GB will be a P-40K-1-CU s/n.42-45883, Kittyhawk Mk.III-RAF s/n.FR293 coded GAo?, flown by Billy Drake when he was 112 Sqn Ldr based at LG.175 Amriya during Autumn 1942. Billy Drake scored 20 enemy aircraft confirmed destroyed, six probable and nine damaged during WW2.
Victories claimed with FR293:
- 3 Bf109, 2 MC.202, 1 Ju87, 1 He111, 1 Bf110 shot down
- 1 Bf 109 shot down on ground
- 2 Bf109 , 1 bf110 damaged
- 1 Bf109 probable

The man:
Drake B._2.jpg

The kit
09753.jpg

The project:
drake (Copier).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great choice. I've got a Hasegawa P-40N I've been slowly working on. It's a good kit but I would definitely recommend gluing all the fuselage inserts to there respective sides before gluing the two halves together. You will get a better fit than if you glue the tail section to the rest of the fuselage after they have been glued together.

Hello,
Today, I begin my my model but I have a doubt about cockpit color... Not sure about ANA611 interior green. Some source says it could be zinc chromate yellow or zinc chromate green. There is also this info on IPMS Stockholm website: "The cockpit of the P-40 was Curtiss Cockpit Green, which was the Berry Brothers' (a local paint vendor) approximation of Interior Green. Reportedly it was a little browner than Interior Green."
What is the best option for my model, IPMS Stockholm ?
Other question about the seat, NMF or cockpit green on this P-40 ?

After some research, it seems that the Curtiss cockpit color for aircrafts ordered by RAF was cockpit light green DuPont 71-036. A color close to RAF cockpit green...
I think I'm going to paint my cockpit in this color (and the seat also...)

Hello,

I gave up the idea of the cockpit light green DuPont 71-036, I found some archiv photos of Kittyhawk Ia and III cockpits where color seems darker. The kittyhawk found in good condition in the desert in 2012 is an example...
So my cockpit is "cockpit green"...
DSCN1438 (Copier).JPG

Cockpit almost done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back