**** DONE: 1/48 MiG-3 "Black 12" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks gents! Thanks for the input on the correct location of the scoops, Wojtek, but I may leave them where they are just to keep this build moving along. I've STILL not jumped into the modeling room with both feet yet but aim to soon. I'll probably toggle back and forth between this and my Erla which should almost be ready for paint.

Some more minor detail work to report. The opening in the fairing over the exhaust pipes needs a little work due to the thickness of the plastic. I bored it out from both sides using an X-Acto knife.

IMG_8003_zps0newzgjs.jpg

IMG_8004_zps7i2dmhb7.jpg

IMG_8005_zpsiaenvxxm.jpg

The representation of the fabric convered control surfaces is very hard edged and stands out too much so I've decided to shave/sand everything down to a more subtle level.

IMG_8001_zpsvhl8rktg.jpg

IMG_8006_zpswqyy1ohh.jpg

The kit prop is very thick and needs to be thinned down. There is also a subtle sink mark on the back of blades. I used coarse sandpaper to do the bulk of the thinning and then used finer grades to finish. I'll have to check the finish of the blades carefully to make sure that I have removed the scratching from the coarse sandpaper.

IMG_8027_zps6p2ofha2.jpg

IMG_8028_zpstw1fveej.jpg

Thanks guys! Tiny update as I've been concentrating on the 109G-10. Some more thinning of kit parts...

IMG_8044_zpskqnsqfi1.jpg

IMG_8047_zps2heznca8.jpg

Nice work Jkim! Don't forget the two struts on the flap by the cooler outlet.

Regards,

Remco

Looks very good Jkim. Don't forget the grill in the watercooler fairing.

Regards,

Remco

Yes, Trumpeter provides grill faces for the fairing!

4bogreen said:
Nice work Jkim! Don't forget the two struts on the flap by the cooler outlet.

Regards,

Remco

Any pictures of those struts? I am going about this build without any written references... just what I've been gleaning off the net. Not a definitive model by any means but I'd be happy to add details as I become aware of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back