**** DONE: 1/48 MiG-3 "Black 12" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, nice! I really like your post-shading John.

Thanks Andy! A little bit of pre-shading is in there too. I usually spray a base of black on my cockpit parts before putting on the cockpit final colors. After detail painting, I gave it a wash of dark pastels.

Wheel wells are blocked off nicely with some simple molded details.
IMG_8108_zps7ty9amlq.jpg

I added some details using brass tubing, sheet and lead wires.
IMG_8109_zpsedayu1o3.jpg

The wing light is simply a hole in the wing covered by a clear part so I added a lens punched from a sheet of styrene and built up with drops of Future.
IMG_8110_zpsnyjsc0d8.jpg

The wheels have been painted. I've been using a drawing circle template to paint the hubs. It yields very good results and is much easier than using adhesive masks.
IMG_8111_zpshd2l9eoi.jpg

The Eduard canopy masks are a perfect fit. But based on my research, the front windshield is made up of three clear pieces glued together without any intermediate metal frames. So I masked off the inner frames.

comp2l.jpg

IMG_8112_zpsnz25btls.jpg

John,

I've been keeping an eye on your build. Outstanding!

I must appologize, I've stolen many of your photos which will help me in detailing my Mig-3 build.

Please don't be angry. I expect to steal more. LOL.

I'll be watching, so please keep up the good work.

Provie

John,

I've been keeping an eye on your build. Outstanding!

I must appologize, I've stolen many of your photos which will help me in detailing my Mig-3 build.

Please don't be angry. I expect to steal more. LOL.

I'll be watching, so please keep up the good work.

Provie

Steal away! I also like to use other people's builds as references so I don't mind. But I would encourage you to share your build here. I've learned alot since joining this site and participating in the Group Builds. It's a great group of people who are very supportive of everyone's builds regardless of the skill level. I'll be reporting a bit more on my MiG soon!

Thanks for following this build and providing good comments... I appreciate it! A little more to report as I've started the main assemblies.

Firstly, the fuselage halves have gone together. Note that the front portion of the fuselage is open... that's a bit of modular assembly to come. Fit is pretty good but I think my eyes have been accustomed to a bigger subject. There is quite a size difference between a 1/32 Bf109 and a 1/48 MiG-3.
IMG_8260-2_zpsyncsokkr.jpg

The gun cowling was added. I tried to minimize seam work by using liquid cement and carefully lining up the edges as much as possible.
IMG_8261_zpspsi5kq2g.jpg

The wings were added next. Fit is good but not perfect and there will be some finishing work required at the seams. Please note that I let the cement cure between each major assembly. For example, letting the fuselage halves dry for at least one day before attaching the gun cowling. Letting the cowling dry one full day before mounting the wings. If fit is good, I will glue AFTER painting is done.
IMG_8262_zpstxoyklcb.jpg

IMG_8263_zpsyzq9uvcm.jpg

The lower engine cowling and oil cooler assembly was attached next. Overall, I would rate the fit of the Trumpeter kit very good to excellent.
IMG_8264_zpsz5vjxulh.jpg

IMG_8265_zpsjua8y9qd.jpg

I'm going to take my time to inspect the seams and clean them up as much as I can. Tricky job given the amount of rivets/panel lines that are right next to most of the joints. Glue drying time can be filled in with detail work. The wing tip lights are tiny clear pieces. I used a micro drill in a pin vise to bore out a little "bulb" into each light and then filled the tiny hole with either green or red paint. I've found that this method yields a nice result.
IMG_8267_zpstymho3kv.jpg

Hi John!

Wow! Your MiG is looking very good! Good solution of the wing tip lights, i am going to do that to. How was the fitting of the wing roots, regarding the air intakes? Mine was a true nightmare. I spend days getting the air intakes right by filling them up with styrene ,sanding and re-creating the rivets and panel lines. Everything had to be perfect, due the use of Alclad paint. Good decision not to install the flaps. If you really want to add the flaps, you can pull it off, but you have to sand the inner wing part so thin, you can see throe it... You masked the front windshield perfect! Few people know that the windshield is glued, and not has frames. Unfortunally the Eduard maskings are missing one thing. At the back of the canopy, there are small windows behind. Trumpeter does not have this in his canopy. Therefore i used the ICM canopy from Squadron Signal. This canopy is actually 2mm to long, so i had to ''refurbish'' this to. You are going pretty good with your MiG.

Regards,

Remco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back