**** DONE: 1/48 P-40F - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Which kit is that?

It was a Hobbcraft/rebox of Otaki maybe? Wojtek could fill in the blanks.

It might be the old Idea Model Co./HobbyCraft 1/48 scale Warhawk P-40E no.HC1402.

HC 1402.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_571.JPG

$_572.JPG

That's defiantly the old Otaki P-40E I built it years ago as R.L. Scotts first P-40 Something about the shape of the whole lower nose and the rear quarter windows just looks wrong.

PC061130.JPG

Last edited:
It looks almost the same. But the panel lines of your's model are recessed while the HC model has them raised. ALso the air intake at the top of the egine cowling is looking much better methinks. As memo serves the Otaki model was an improved, later copy of the HC model.

The radiator intake for this kit is not correct for a P-40F. There should be a single carb intake in the center. I made it using a piece of small diameter plastic tubing with the butterfly valve cut from a beer can. I also painted and installed the exhaust stacks.

PC041126.JPG
PC041127.JPG
PC041128.JPG
PC041129.JPG
PC061131.JPG
PC061133.JPG

Last edited:
The seat was also not correct for a P-40F which had the same seat as all earlier P-40s going back to the P-36. The kit seat is the shape of the one in later models of the P-40N. I've modified many of these P-40 seats from the Hobbycraft and AMT kits and I seem to do it a little different every time. This time I shaped the seat back and sides with a large file and added thin plastic sheet to cover the molded in seat belts. I filed groves in the plastic sheet with the tip of a rat tail needle file to replicate the embossed groves in the seat back, then painted it with Metalizer aluminum and did a dark wash to bring out the detail.

PC011123.JPG
PC061132.JPG
PC061134.JPG

Last edited:
... Another P-40... Cool..... :)
There's just too many paint schemes I want to do a P-40 in, and I do have quite a few kits of them in the stash.

Glued the fuselage halves together and the carb intake turned out pretty good. Also glued up the wings and saw just how bad the wing to fuselage gap is. I think a lot of it can be fixed with a fuselage spreader bar.

PC061135.JPG
PC061136.JPG
PC061137.JPG
PC061138.JPG

Last edited:
That looks tough Glen but think the bars will do the trick with minimum amount of filling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back