**** DONE: 1/48 P-47N Expected Goose - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Glenn, did you try Microsol in addition to the -set. I use the -set first and if that doesn't do it I recoat with -sol

Thanks guys
Just found out I may have to be out of town this weekend so I'm feeling some pressure
Very nice Glenn, did you try Microsol in addition to the -set. I use the -set first and if that doesn't do it I recoat with -sol
No Mike, having dealt with Academy decals before I brought out the big guns right away and used Walthers Solvaset. If that stuff won't soften a decal nothing will.

I love the stuff but you have to be real careful with it. Didn't do much on the printed areas of the Academy decals though, but did a good job on the clear carrier film areas.

I'm with you Glenn. Solvaset is what I use and I've had many decals I've had to pursuade, even then.

Like the look of your Jug and hope the stencils go smoothly. Not a big fan of having to do stencils myself.

I was up until midnight last night finishing the stencils, doing a wash on the gear bays doors and masking and painting the bomb. Too tired to take pictures so I'll try to post some later today. No way I'll finish by Friday night with all the finishing steps left to do.

Last night's work. The 1000 lb bomb painted and all the stencils on. The carrier film is still visible although it does not look like the silvering reaction. I hope it is less visible with the dull coat.
Doing the panel lines and anything else I can get done tonight.

P5290846.JPG
P5290847.JPG
P5290848.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Glenn. Don't rush it now as I think we're extending the build a bit.
That is a relief Andy, I hadn't seen any responses from any of the other judges so I wasn't sure. I just did a marathon 6 hour session trying to get it done and I don't think I could make it by Friday night when I go out of town. The holdup is going to be the canopy. I didn't dip it in Future until this afternoon which means I can't mask it before tomorrow (and I think that would be pushing it), and then another day for the silver paint to cure before installation. Just not enough days.

Well anyway, here are some pictures from the last 6 hours
1) The sludge wash on. I always look at the model at this point and think "what the hell have I just done".
2) The sludge wiped off. The one close up picture of "Expected Goose" I have shows it rather weathered with the aluminum oxidized so I left quite a bit on. The pic also shows the engine finally mounted and the prop, cowling, bomb, and fuel tanks completed
3&4) Dull coat on and the cowl mounted showing he dirt and oxidized aluminum
5) The bomb and landing gear mounted.
I also worked on a lot of the other miscellaneous parts so they are ready to mount when I need them.

A small extension would be a big help. I wouldn't have to push my luck with the canopy that way.

P5290849.JPG
P5290851.JPG
P5290852.JPG
P5290853.JPG
P5290854.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back