**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D "Wild Will" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: P-51D
Aftermarket addons: Aeromaster Decals, PE Belts, possibly cockpit set, possibly resin wheels.

The subject of this build will be P-51D-15 "Wild Will" of 368th FS, 359th FG flown by Lt. Col. James Parsons, East Wretham, February 1945

AeroMaster_48-640_Product.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the 359th FG Facebook page:

Lt. Col. James W. Parsons served in the ETO with HQ and the 368th and 369th Fighter Squadrons, 359th Fighter Group, after serving with the 54th Fighter Group in the Aleutians. With two air victories, Col. Parsons flew 49 missions with the 359th totaling 226:15 hours. Aircraft included P-51D IV-E 44-14127 "Wild Will," which was named for Col. Parsons' first squadron commander, Maj. Wilbur G. Miller, 42nd Fighter Squadron, 54th Fighter Group, who was KIA in the Aleutians campaign.
At age 95, Colonel Parsons passed away at his home in Carlsbad, CA on December 15, 2014. At his side as he left for his next mission, his wife of 73 years. Colonel Parsons was laid to rest with full military honors at Miramar National Cemetery where his extended family celebrated his life and long, heroic service to our country.
Photo courtesy of Robert Elliott. Archived by Char Baldridge, Historian, 359th Fighter Group Association.

10428592_874956165890339_6105547843842919702_n.jpg

I have only found two pictures of this aircraft. The first one is the same aircraft but before Parsons got it and added the nose art. There is a pic of his previous mount, IV-E but I've not included it.:

368th FS in flight.jpg
cv-q.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was interested in this scheme both because of the looks - I think the green and yellow are a great combination - and for the very reason that it seems to be not that well represented both in photos and in models. Usually when you Google a scheme, you get lots of pictures of models and profiles but not this time. So if anyone has any more info on this plane, I'd welcome the input. I think the yellow spiral on the spinner can just be discerned on the last pic above, a cool feature.

So I also have a P-51B that I'm narrowing down a scheme for. At the moment, it's looking like another Bodney bird - yeah I know - unless I do another green nose or use the kit decals. I guarantee you it will NOT be yet another Shangri-La!

Peter, thanks for the added picture. A good reference for the green which seems to show various hues in the few other colour pics I've seen. Cranfill flew CV-Q before Parsons took it over and therefore Parson's personal markings are not present in your picture, as is the case in the first B&W one I posted above.

Thanks Geo but don't pull a muscle. I did come across another colour pic of a 368thFS bird in a Kagero book. Shows a Mustang taxiing almost head on.

Let me hi-jack your thread for just a minute. I'm home, and have been for awhile. Tube is outta my chest, heart monitor gone too. Things are normal (?) here, dialysis Mon/Wed/Fri. Home health care RN come Tues and Thursday. My only limits are lifting (5 pounds or 2 kilos). Can't wait for the weather to break so I can play in the garden. Thanks to all you lads for the kind words and the good wishes.

I'll give you back your thread, now.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back