**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D "Wild Will" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, I do Brooks, thanks. I've scoured it already and I\ve posted everything I've found so far.

No pics yet but the only thing I've done so far is to assemble part of the pit and paint the floor and gas tank black with the same cup of paint I used on my P-51B. The base colour of this pit will be Interior Green vs the Dull Dark Green on the B. Should get some colour on this weekend.

Worked on the cockpit today and got it close to completion.

Work started on the seat. Though I did not take a "before" picture, the one below shows the work done to prepare the seat for painting. The molded-in seatblets were carved away and the thick braces were replaced with bits of styrene sheet.

150030101.jpg

The seat was painted bronze green and glued into the rest of the tub, which was done in interior green. he shot below shows the basic assembly before detailing.

150030102.jpg

I've decided that the canopy on this one will be posed in the closed position as I did not get any aftermarket enhancements and I did not want to get into the slippery slope of super-detailing everything. So I just spent a bit of time on the things that will be clearly visible through the glazing. Seatbelts were scratch build from masking tape and lead wire and cables were added to the radio equipment.

150030103.jpg
150030104.jpg

As for the walls, I simply painted the existing detials and added some home made placards made of a silver deal cut into rectangles and coloured over with fine-tipped pens to represent the lettering.

150030105.jpg
150030106.jpg

The instrument panel will get my attention next and will be the subject of my next update, hopefully soon.

Nice work Andy. That back rest 'cushion' that Hasegawa includes (and I think Tamiya, in their 'D') irritates the heck out of me. I can't be positive regarding a date, but I believe it was a post-war addition, possibly Korean war period, as a flotation cushion, in bright yellow with, presumably, a change of seat pan to accommodate a seat-type parachute pack.
Wartime P-51's had a shallow seat pan for a dinghy pack, with a slightly dished seat back (as seen behind the 'cushion') for a B-4 type back-pack parachute, with the seat being painted Medium Green.
Not a lot you can do to remove the 'cushion', so painting it that colour at least makes it less obtrusive.

Thanks guys.

Nice work Andy. That back rest 'cushion' that Hasegawa includes (and I think Tamiya, in their 'D') irritates the heck out of me. I can't be positive regarding a date, but I believe it was a post-war addition, possibly Korean war period, as a flotation cushion, in bright yellow with, presumably, a change of seat pan to accommodate a seat-type parachute pack.

I hear ya Terry and I always have a debate between brain lobes as to what to do about it. I often resign myself to the possibility, however remote, that there might have been a cushion present. As I've resolved not to spend too much time on getting the details right on this kit, I let this go rather than create a lot of work removing all this plastic.

Moving on....

The instrument panel has been painted with the raised dials dry-brushed white, bits of red added, and the yellow line around the flying instruments added with a thinly cut decal. Good enough for viewing through the canopy. Once done, the panel was glued in place and the finished tub stuck onto the starboard wall.

150030201.jpg
150030202.jpg
150030203.jpg

By the way, those ARE finger prints you see there but these areas will be hidden once the fuselage is glued together.

Last edited:
I had heard that North American had some workers with big hands, but ................. !
Great stuff Andy, and I totally agree with your decision regarding the seat. This seems to be another case of the researchers not asking questions when measuring the full-sized subject aircraft before design and production of the kit tooling.

Nice innards Andy. Not saying right or wrong; Ultracast has P-51 seats that show no cushion in early/mid production B/Cs and a cushion on the late production D/Ks. As you guys said, the latter seats may be copies of post war seats.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back