**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D "Wild Will" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After deepening the rivets on the flaps a bit with a pin, I glued both onto the wings with CA glue. The black paint you see on the pictures below is just a seam test I did with left over black paint from another project. I always try to find uses for left over paint before chucking it.

15032201.jpg

15032202.jpg

With the flaps set, I marked and drilled out the slots that we talked about earlier

15032205.jpg

Another advantage of the Tamiya kit over the Hasegawa one is that it has a separate engine cowl part that spans over the fuselage seam forward of the windscreen and thus allows for avoiding the inevitable seam work that is needed. As the Hasegawa kit did not have that feature, I had to rescribe the panel line that ran down the axis and redo all the fasteners that straddled it, all of which were lost in the sanding of the seam. I had to measure out the fastener spacing and then poked them in with a needle that I had cut back to the right diameter.

15032203.jpg

15032204.jpg

I'm getting close to applying a prime coat for the NMF but there's still a bit more scribing to do before that happens. Thanks for looking in guys.

Last edited:
Thanks John. Well, this will be my first foray into the NMF world since re-entering the hobby. Everything so far, with the exception of a few panels, has been camo painted. I'll most likely be using Alclads but am not aiming to get that polished, factory fresh, air-show look. This who know me will also know that I like my models with a weathered look so the NMF will, if things go as I plan, have a bit of a dull look. I'll be experimenting a bit and, despite wanting a bit of a duller look, will try a gloss black base coat on the fuselage, flaps, ailerons, and tailplanes to see how that turns out. Comments/tips welcome as this will be a new area for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back