**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D "Wild Will" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have the Aircraft Aluminum from Alclad and used a bit of it on my Ki-61. It's from Alclad's bright series of paints as opposed to Aluminum, Dark aluminum etc. Like John says I would test it out with the others.
Also, on the puttying of the wings I read that some P-51D's did not have them. These were typically the aircraft that arrived in the ETO painted in OD. These aircraft were later stripped of their paint to reveal the natural metal finish and the stripping agents the ground crews used (gasoline, kerosene etc.) removed the putty as well.

Good info guys, thanks. I'll need to make use of the Alclads I have as there's just no end in sight to this shipping delay. As for no putty on th ewings, too late fro that as I filled all the panel lines already.

Looking forward to seeing more on this one Andy. I was referring to just those P51D's that had the OD removed. I think the numbers were small in relation to the overall numbers of P-51D's that were in the ETO. I would have puttied the wings too if I was building this kit.

Thanks Dave.

Well, this one won't win any contests as I messed up the windscreen. As mentioned earlier, I did not like the way the windscreen fit. As a result, I dipped it in Future and then glued it on with CA glue as I needed to persuade it a bit to fit properly. I then blended in the clear part with the fuselage plastic, using CA for the gaps, and polished the clear part with micro-mesh pads til I was happy with the result.

15041901.jpg

15042002.jpg

Problem is, some of the CA got under the clear part and pooled behind it, leaving a rather unsightly blemish.

15042001.jpg

I really don't want to take this apart again to fix this so may swallow my pride and relegate this one to the back of the self among the "Nice Try" projects.

Bummer...if you have blended the canopy well then maybe the bottom of the masks can be trimmed slightly smaller so when you put the paint on, it will cover from the outside at least, the small amount of superglue you have there, and then so very carefully you can use a fine brush in the inside of the canopy to blend and camouflage the offending glue blemish...?

That's a bummer on the canopy, I would not have used CA on clear due to frosting when it drys. Does the future keep that for happening?

"Wild Will" in its current state. Canopy has been masked strategically to hide the CA bubble as much as possible and interior green applied to the frames. A "gloss" coat of Krylon Glass Black was applied but I managed to mist this a bit so polished it with a 12000 grit micro mesh pad. A couple of blemishes were revealed and these have received some dabs of grey surface primer which will need to be sanded down.

15051001.jpg

Thanks Wojtek and Cory for the Like.

Tonight, I painted the wings in Alclad Dull Aluminum and took a picture with the correct white balance this time.

15051101.jpg

Depends on how it goes Cory. I should get finished but I'm not sure the CA blob will make it a worthy entry.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to mask and hopefully spray the fuselage tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back