**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D "Wild Will" - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne

Spent an hour tonight fixing up the landing gear. In this shot, the brake lines have been added and the Ultracast resin block tread tires have been flattened, painted, and loosely installed.

15052001.jpg

Once the landing gear is installed in the model, the wheels will be rotated to ensure that the flattened face is correctly aligned with the table top and then glued in place. At that point, the hub end of the brake lines will be bent and secured to the wheel hubs.

I had originally planned on having the canopy posed in the closed position but was disappointed to find that the back end of the canopy was not quite wide enough to match the flare in the fuselage. Also, the forward frame would need to be sanded to mate nicely with the windscreen. Rather than risk breaking the delicate parts, I have opted to pose the canopy in a slightly open position.

15052002.jpg

Still to add are the antenna mast, pitot tube, machine gun muzzles, and drop tanks. Once those are on, the exhaust stubs need to be painted and some weathering done before I can call this one done. This weekend is still a doable target. Thanks for checking in.

Thanks guys.

Agreed. How exactly did you glue the wheels? I'll need to do something similar on the Corsair.

Simple. The wheels were a press fit onto the axles and hardly needed glue. when I stood the model up, I rotated the wheels till the flat spots were flush, picked the model up and dabbed CA glue onto the joint.

Thanks guys.

Well, almost done. I've begun weathering the model by running some panel wash in the seams and dabbing some pastels to add some grime.

The Hasegawa wheel wells leave a lot to be desired but I didn't have the cajones to do a complete revamp of this normally unseen area, unlike past projects. I satisfied myself with just painting everything in aluminum, except for the black openings, applying a wash, and highlighting the lines and hoses with silver dry-brushing. You can also see that I applied a fair amount of pastels to dirty up the undersides a bit.

15052401.jpg

The drop tanks have been installed with the fuel and pressure lines added using lead wire and solder. The filler caps are old Eduard PE ones that I had left over. The guns on this kit are all tiny, individual cylinders and I drilled out the barrels.

15052402.jpg

The canopy has been installed in a "cracked open"position. Minor weathering of the panel lines was done but does not show up well in this pic.

15052403.jpg

Here is the finished upper wing surface with stencils, panel wash, and pastel streaks applied

15052404.jpg

At this point, all I have left is to finish installing the gear doors and do a few touch ups here and there. I should post the finished pics this week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back