**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire FR.lX - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good Geo. Some of putty and you should have the fitting problem sorted out.

Seems I've missed a good chunk of this thread while out of the loop myself. Boy have you been having fun George, it's amazing how a few chunks of plastic can cause such a stir, looks like you're coming out well at the other end though.

Can't stand those walking thingummyjigs though, sh!t boring striding out looking at a brick wall, rather stride out on the mountain behind our house, snakes and all, but then again we don't have the snow problems like you folks.

It starts.....

006.JPG

007.JPG

Geo

Looks like you're on top of it Geo. Maybe you need to find a way to pack a modeling picnic basket when you go to camp. I ain't stoppin!

Nothing like a little putty to make the problems go away.
Now as to the walker thingie, You are not the first to fall into the trap that the females set. Good luck with it!

Looks like you're headed in the right direction George. Don't let the wife kill you with that exercise thingie. Put an elliptical trainer together for my wife and daughter a week ago and neither one has even tried it yet.

First layer went better than expected. Letting the paint dry and then the next layer tonight.
001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

Glenn, the wife is an exercise person. I can sit and watch her work out for hours.

Geo

Right. Wing/fuselage mudded up and sanded and of course I noticed that small glitch on the bottom right after the photo was taken. Also, the fuel cap indent will have to be dealt with.

005.JPG
006.JPG

Will the next set of problems step right up. The top piece of engine cowling was short shot so it was sanded square, a strip of plastic added and then this was sanded to fit. (The fit of the alternate piece was atrocious.) The fit of the bottom isn't as bad as it looks. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the camera fairing over the radio hatch. I can't find my circle template so I'm searching the house for something appropriate. I've got a nice clear piece of plastic to use when I find something, mask a circle to match the fuselage opening, glue and paint fuselage color.

001.JPG
003.JPG

Geo

Some interesting challenges geo, but you seem to be meeting each rather well!

With the fuel cap...fill the hole and redrill it to suit your cap, while you still have access through the bottom add a bit of plastic card on the inside for the cap to sit on!

Odd Wayne...I just searched the sprues and the instruction sheet and there is no filler cap to fill that whacking great indent, soooooooooo, I'll mud it up and use that green thing I "borrowed" from the waiting room to scribe a new fill cap.

Geo

Good stuff so far Geo. Regarding the fuel filler - many kits have the filler moulded this way, which might be an attempt to replicate the recessed filler on later Spits, which had an armoured cover.
For the rain deflector on the camera hatch, bend a piece of stretched sprue to form a semi-circle, cut to the required dimensions, cement in place, and, if needed, build-up the 'streamlined' part with Milliput. If you haven't removed the hatch totally, as already discussed, punch the clear 'window' from clear sheet, and drill and ream a hole in the fuselage to fit.
EDIT: Just noticed, the hole is already done! Also noticed that the starboard side cannon cover in particular, looks like it might need lifting at one edge, and possibly blending-in a little.

Last edited:
Odd Wayne...I just searched the sprues and the instruction sheet and there is no filler cap to fill that whacking great indent....

No wonder there wasn't any of the filler cap there. The area looked like this.... the bottom shot is for Mk.Vb, these two bottom ones for Mk.IX..... picture source - the net.

spit5_wlew.jpg

spit9_wlew.jpg

spit9_wlew1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back