**** DONE: 1/48 Tempest MkV - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First test with primer after filling, sanding, and filing. The wing root looks not too bad, with a few scratches to be fixed on the rear fillet. The radiator exit walls have been thinned significantly and the wing attachment points smoothed over. More to do, including rescribing, before the real paint flies.

16032701.jpg
16032702.jpg

Thanks all. Still tweaking the surfaces for paint and hope to get some on this weekend. I've decided that I'll do the below scheme given that the model depicts a later Series 2 Tempest. To be accurate, I'll have to dispense with the resin wheels I bought and pretty up the 4-spoked kit wheels. The resin ones will come in handy on one of my Typhoons so they won't go to waste.

Profile no 117.jpg

Cool, great to see Jimmy Sheddan's ride getting some love :thumbright:

Just with the blurb on that profile, it's based on photos of his mount taken after 2 May as that was when he scored his last kill (shared a Bv138) which was also the same day he was promoted to Acting Squadron Leader (hence the pendant).

Cheers Geo.

So with my nice resin 5 spoked wheels chucked in with one of my Tiffies, I set about modifying the ugly kit 4-spokers. Here's what I had to deal with:

16040201.jpg

And after drilling, cutting, and filing this is the result:

16040202.jpg

Next on the agenda was the gun sight which I decided to scratch build given that the kit supplied an earlier model. SN129 was amongst the final batch of Tempest Mk V's built so I figured it probably sported the later Type1 MkIII sight that projected the reticule image onto the windscreen. Rod, solder, and stretched sprue made up the assembly and a piece of aluminum tape made the conical shade.

16040203.jpg

Another view, this time with paint applied and a dab of white glue, still drying, simulating the lens.

16040204.jpg

And finally, the windscreen is glued on and fits nicely. After masking the windscreen, I'll start letting the paint fly. Actually I just realized that I need to attend to the wing tip nav lights first as these are just molded in to the wing at the moment and I'll need to make them as clear parts.

16040205.jpg

Thanks all. It's pretty much my modus operandi to put the windscreen on before painting as it lets me control the quality of the joint without messing up the finished paint. It also serves to partly mask the pit.

Gonna try to work the nav lights today if I get the time. Pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back