DONE: Chance Vought F4U-1 Corsair of Lt. Ken Walsh, VMF-124, White 13 Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I stole Ozhawk's info template as his was very complete.

Username: Catch22
Category: 2
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: F4U-1 "Birdcage"
Details: White 13 flown by Lt. Ken Walsh of VMF-124

Here's a profile of the plane I'd like to do:

02.-F4U.jpg

F4U-1 Corsair BuNo 02350 No.13 flown by Lt Kenneth A Walsh of VMF-124, munda, August 1943
From Mark Styling

I have the colours I need, and I'm pretty much good to go. I just would like some real photos of this plane. As far as I've been able to find out he flew a number of 13s, but I'd like to do this one as it doesn't have bars on the roundel and it'd be something different in that respect. If anyone can find anything, that'd be great as I've been unable to. This is the research time for this build as I don't plan on starting it until after my Avenger and OTHER Corsair are finished.

And Jan, sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Karl, I have both Kagero books, and the Osprey "Cosair Aces of WWII" and the best I can do is a couple profiles and a shot of the plane pre-delivery, which I suppose should do. There aren't any markings on it, but I know where they go thanks to the profiles. My big problem was (and may still be) which canopy was fitted, the one with the bulge or the original flat one? The picture shows a flat one, but the profile shows a bulged one. I'd be more inclined to believe the actual picture, what about you guys? According to the Styling website, that plane is "F4U-1 Corsair BuNo 02350 No.13 flown by Lt Kenneth A Walsh of VMF-124, Munda, August 1943", and the picture of the plane that I found is BuNo 02350 so they're the same plane, as I know he had a few 13s.

Nice choice Cory, and thanks for the clear entry details info. It looks like people are getting the idea!
As far as the canopy goes, I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the bulged-top canopies were retro-fitted in the field, following operational experience. Check in the text of your Kagero books and other refs, to see if it's mentioned.

I also have read that too Terry, and it makes sense. I just have to figure out WHEN. I'll probably do the bulged, as at the time of Walsh becoming an ace they would have probably have started retro-fitting the canopies.

It should be a nicde build, Cory. Lucky will be pleased, it's got a 13 on it !

Charles

Last edited:
I'm 43 and haven't touched one for about 10 years. I've got some load of them in the basement unbuilt. My baby is a 1965 Revell 1/32nd P-51B Shangri-la+.....maybe someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back