**** DONE: GB-35 1/48 F-8E Crusader - Vietnam French/American War 1950-1975

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Spent the whole day in PG yesterday attending to a follow up visit with the surgeon after the wife's foot surgery Sept. 6th. 3hrs in the waiting room, the surgeon shows up, looks at the x-ray and 10 minutes later says all is good. Anyhoo.......on the modelling front, just need to do some more white and then I can get on with the top color

Looking forward to it my friend. Both Wayne and I got our initial grey coat too dark so don't be afraid to tone down with white.

Thanks Andy. I'm still looking for my Monogram Navy book that has the paint chips in the back but I'll be using either the Model Master Acryl "Light Gull Grey" or as the The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart site suggests, Tamiya XF-55 "Deck Tan"

IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5715.JPG

That could work Geo. Though I use that site as a reference myself, the issue that I have with it is that it seems to only pick the closest straight Tamiya colour with no mixing suggestions.

I tend to favour this site which does give mixing suggestions. Though the formula for Light Gull Grey gave me a colour that was too dark for my little 1/72 scale model, it was damn close to the FS26440 paint chip.

Thanks guys. You know it Andy. This was in the stash for a while until I got brave enough to use an air brush. One of the things I was concerned about before building this kit was whether or not the wheels would touch the ground after they were mounted. Other builds had the gear doors or strakes hit the ground due to the landing gear being too flat. There is even a gear correction set made to prevent this. The wheels are just dry fitted for a test run....

IMG_5724.JPG
IMG_5730.JPG

Grey top colour tomorrow but first I have to look up what to thin Model Master Acryl paint with and what ration. The current info I have is " pre-thinned but add a few drops of universal thinner" whateverthehell that is. Off to the Googler.............

Probably this Geo.

51s9oIh4SwL._SL1001_.jpg

Also heard this is good but haven't used it myself.

UMP_THINNER.jpg

At the end of the day you can probably use alcohol or Tamiya thinner or even water anyway - just do a test mix.

Last edited:
Thanks Kirby. Just watched some videos that show those very thinners, unfortunately nigh on impossible to get at the moment. Also watched a video about making home-brew acrylic thinner, very interesting. A couple others sights say it's OK to use IPA or plain water. Some testing will be required for sure

Thanks guys. Camo is done with a few touch ups need in the nose cone/intake area. I'll let it set for a day or so and then do the exhaust.

IMG_5731.JPG
IMG_5735.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back