**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 BF109G-14 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Bf109G-14
Aftermarket addons: Kagero Decals

I hope to make this a quick build so that I can fit at least one more project into this GB. The model will depict a Bf109G-14 Blue 11 of 16/JG 5 flown by Karl-Heinz Erler at Rygge, April 1945.

I have located three photos of this aircraft and would welcome more if anyone has them:

6255658332_6072a27cfc_z.jpg
teaserbox_2456170117.png
teaserbox_2456170151.png

The pictures do reveal a couple of interesting features of this aircraft. Note the antenna wire that is loosely draped and that runs through the D/F loop up to the post on the canopy. Also, the light colour on top of the wings indicates a light grey tone, possibly RLM 77. Wear on the back of the propeller blade tips can also be seen.

Thanks for looking in Jeff.

With my Ar196 curing in the paint shop and snow blowing outside, I sat down and made a big dent in this build. The cockpit parts were sprayed a dark grey while on the sprue to serve as a base for the RLM 66 to come.

17110201.jpg

The cockpit tub on the Hasegawa kit is placed into the fuselage from below after the halves are glued together so this allows one to progress on multiple fronts. Here, the tub has received a thin coat of RLM 66 over the dark grey and the high edges of the parts received a brushed application of RAF Ocean Grey to make them stand out. The cover for the cannon butt was glued in as were the pedals and all areas got some chipping treatment using a silver pencil. I'm going to pose the canopy in the closed position on this build so am not going to go to infinite detail in the pit, though the prominent yellow fuel line on the starboard side will be added as this was highly visible.

17110202.jpg

Hasegawa's 109's are fairly generic and modifications are needed depending on which variant is being built. The circular wheel wells, typical of the F models, need to be squared off but this is not a problem as the walls provided serve as a guide. The overhangs were simply removed with a sharp scalpel.

17110203.jpg
17110204.jpg
17110205.jpg

The G-14 also has an extra panel line that needs to be scribed in and this is noted in the instructions. I verified the location of the line against drawings that John sent me and scribed it in. Here you see the location marked with a pen and the line after I finished scribing it. The scribing was accomplished by laying a flexible straight edge on the surface and holding it there whilst making a couple of passes with a scalpel, sanding down the plastic that got pushed up, then going over it again with a photo-etched saw to clean out the plastic. Once the line was equivalent in size to the adjacent ones, I sanded once again, cleaned with a wetted tooth brush, and then ran some Tamiya Extra Thin Cement down the line to dull the edges a bit.

17110206.jpg
17110207.jpg

The radiators were installed and painted with Alclad Steel and the various holes need for the antenna spike, wheel recess bulges and the ETC rack were drilled out. The bulges were then glued in place and the wings were glued together before I called it a night.

17110208.jpg

The fuselage and wings come together beautifully and are held together easily with firm hand pressure for maybe 10 seconds after the Extra Thin is applied. What appears to be some separation between the wing uppers and lowers at the starboard wing root is actually just the way the light is catching a small step that will be sanded out.

17110209.jpg

At this point, I will look closely at other panel lines and hatch covers that might need to be added or filled before going further. Of course, I should have done this before the fuselage was glued together but it didn't occur to me at the time.

I expect that I will be able to spend some quality time with this kit before Saturday as we're supposed to get non-stop snow today and tomorrow. Thanks for looking in and for your interest guys.

Thanks guys. Checked for other potential panel mods to be made and everything seems to be per drawings with the exception of the moulded-in umbrella attachment points that will need to be removed. More later.

Thanks for looking in Terry.

As mentioned above, the little nubs below the cockpit sill in the below pic represent the attachment points for the umbrella and these have since been removed and the area smoothed over. Another issue to address is the absence of the boxed-in hatch on the bulkhead behind the pilot which on the G-14 housed the relocated battery. I searched through my spares and confirmed my suspicion that there is no piece that I could use here so I resolved to build one from scratch.

17110308.jpg

Here we have the scratch built box. Also seen is the minor filling and sanding that was done with Tamiya primer along the seams.

17110304.jpg

Another issue I've run into before on these Hasegawa 109's is that the separate piece for the gun troughs is slightly too wide for the fuselage. I've lined up the port side as best as I could, preferring to deal with one side only. The overhang was filed down and then Tamiya primer was applied to the area. I didn't bother with the area that will be hidden by the bulges.

17110301.jpg
17110302.jpg

Here we see the above area sanded smooth and rescribed, thought he latter is not so obvious.

17110303.jpg

This pic shows the results better. With the bulges added and primer sprayed on, the rescribing can be more easily seen. There are some very slight gaps where the bulges don't quite mate with the fuselage surface but that's an easy fix.

17110305.jpg

The primer was also sprayed over the battery box and reveals just a bit of smoothing that I need to do. Note also that I added a very thin scribe line along the fuselage spine.

17110306.jpg

Back to the pit for a minute, here's what it looks like so far with belts yet to be added.

17110307.jpg

That's it for today. See you soon.

Thanks guys. Appreciate you watching my build.

Today was cockpit day so first on the list was to make some seatbelts. I've long run out of the Eduard PE Luftwaffe belts so have been trying to perfect making my own. My raw materials are plain masking tape and stainless steel wire, the tape being close to the right colour anyway. Here we have a close up of the lap belts ready to install as well as a shot of them in place.

17110501.jpg
17110502.jpg

The shoulder belts are a little more involved with more buckles that need to be fabricated. These are done by wrapping the stainless steel wire around a square file. The triangular ones were formed around a toothpick that I carved to shape.

17110503.jpg

Here are the belts in place. I'm pretty stoked about how they turned out and will certainly do the job with a closed canopy.

17110505.jpg

The instrument panel was painted by hand. First the faces of the dials were dabbed with a Black Sharpy pen. When dry, the white dials were picked out using a toothpick and a fine brush. Before installing in the fuselage, the instrument faces got a drop of clear parts cement, not seen here.

17110504.jpg

The cockpit and instrument panel have now been slipped into the fuselage and the fuel line, made of solder, was painted and glued in place.

17110506.jpg

Taking a look at the Erla canopy reveals an annoying scratch that needs to be dealt with. There's a smaller one on the other side too.

17110507.jpg

The scratch has been repaired by using fine sand paper and micromesh pads and the canopy has been dipped in Future and is now curing. I'll start my next post with how that turned out.....or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back