**** FINISHED: GB-36 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

turbo

Staff Sergeant
Jan 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Username: turbo
First name: Kirby
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Macchi C.202 Folgore
Addons: Eduard PE detail and Brassin resin wheels and supercharger intake are included in the kit. Eduard undercarriage bay upgrade set. Scratch built brake lines.

The Macchi C.202 Folgore (Thunderbolt) was designed by Mario Castoldi (hence the C designation), built by Macchi Aeronautica, and operated mainly by the Regia Aeronautica.

The subject is MM 7711, a II. Serie from 378a Squadriglia, 155 Gruppo, 51 Stormo CT based at Gela in Sicily presumably flying sorties in the siege of Malta during August 1942. Being an early Serie, the aircraft has the fried egg camo scheme but with a replacement cowl from another aircraft.

This was a pretty nice kit to build, with few fit issues although this particular kit had some significant warping issues I had to deal with. It is not for the faint-hearted though, with over 100 PE parts and a dozen resin parts, more if you choose to include the undercarriage bay upgrade set, which I recommend. I think it's worth it though. I intentionally chose this camo scheme as I knew it would push me out of my comfort zone in this scale, but I'm happy with how it's turned out and I feel it's advanced my modelling skills, which is something I like to get out of each build. You can find the full build thread here.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who followed along and provided valuable information and opinions, I really appreciate it :thumbleft:. Here are the mandatory pics.

port foreward web.jpg

port rear web.jpg

rear web.jpg

starboard rear web.jpg

starboard foreward web.jpg

front web.jpg

A few more extras shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back