**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf110D - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all.

Yes, the tank conformed well, although there was minimal surface contact for cement, and no locating pins.
I put the tank in position, and then scribed the fuselage around the front curve and rear end, for reference. The tank was then cemented in place, holding it until it was virtually set at the front and extreme rear end, with a slight gap on one side side towards the rear. This had a bead of CA run along the joint, and was held tight until it set - just a few seconds.
Next step is to clean-up the joint all around, which is just a small job.
Should get the fins on next, and then mark and drill holes for the 'various sticky out bits' on the fuselage, wings and control surfaces. Once that's done the ailerons can be fitted, followed by a bit of a clean-up, and then mask the cockpit, wheel bays etc, ready for a light primer coat, to get rid of the horrible brown plastic colour, and check seams joints etc.
And then it's paint time !
Trying to decide whether to use the Model Master matt colours that Andy kindly supplied, or the gloss Xtracolor paints - probably the latter, due to the large areas to be covered (saving the MM paints for other LW subjects), and also to provide a ready glossed finish, as weathering will be minimum.

Thanks Kirby.
There's some nice detail in the kit, and it should look fine when all done. But the fit, and more annoyingly, the haphazard layout of parts and the sprue attachments, along with the odd way of engineering some parts, lets it down a bit.

Thanks Hugh.

It's just about ready to be masked and have the primer coat applied - but I have to wait until some of the poorly fitting parts set first.
The fins have now been attached, probably the best-fitting parts in the entire kit, and the ailerons are fitted. These were a real pain, as the fit relies on a butt joint along the recess in the trailing edge of the wing, making it somewhat tricky to accurately align each aileron, and virtually impossible, from the box, to offset the control surfaces.
Numerous small holes have been drilled to accept small parts later, as yet again, there is a lack of locating points, except for very tiny indentations on the ailerons, where the mass balance horns fit.
In other issues of this kit. the 'Lorenz' beam approach antenna is provided as PE parts, but these are not included in the 'Weekend Edition', and again, there are no locating points for it. Holes have been drilled to accept the mounts, which will be made from either stretched sprue of thin plastic rod, and the antenna itself will be made from thin wire, which will be fitted after painting the model.

PIC 1. The fins in place.
PIC 2. It was impossible to drill a hole in the leading edge of the starboard fin, for the antenna wire, as the part is too narrow, so a small slot has been cut on the inboard side, where the 'wire' (invisible mending thread) will be attached.
PIC 3. Holes have been drilled to accept the mounting bracket and sway braces for the large drop tanks. The tanks and braces from the Fujimi kit will be used, as they appear to be more accurate in shape than the Eduard items, and the main bracket will be from the Eduard kit, one of the 'Parts not for use' among many such parts in the box.
PIC 4. Holes for the 'Lorenz' antenna on the fuselage underside, and the lifting point drilled out. Not shown here is another small hole, just aft of the rear cockpit on the starboard side, to accept the antenna wire lead-in.
PICS 5 and 6. How it all looks to date.

I should be able to get the masking dome, and the primer sprayed, some time tomorrow, so back then with another update.

Thanks Michael - I admit, I'm glad that the worst is over, although there is still the landing gear and doors to consider, after the model has been painted.

Well I hope so Kirby - but then, with my recent problems with paint, and especially clear coats, there's room for further problems, but I sincerely hope not !!

Something has been bugging me about the belly tank, which I couldn't quite identify, so i re-checked my references. The bl**dy thing is too far aft, by around 4 mm, or 7 to 8 scale inches. However, if it was moved forward (which would be a tricky job to remove it now), it wouldn't conform to the fuselage around the forward section, so it'll have to stay where it is.
The tank from the Fujimi kit is more accurate in shape, but lacks the distinctive ribbing, otherwise I would have used that.
Been working on the under-wing drop tanks from the Fujimi kit, and I think they'll look better than the Eduard versions if I can get them aligned and fitted properly - but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it !

Thanks chaps.
Looking at pics of the tank as fitted to this unit's aircraft, there is a small lip, where the tank is faired in to the fuselage at the front, whereas the kit part joins abruptly, on the underside. The 'lip' is rather like a shallow skirt, around the length of the tank, and is riveted to the fuselage, with the tank fitting in to this.
I think I'll try to replicate this, at the front at least, using 'Milliput' to blend-in the joint.
I'll post pics of the real tank and 'skirt' when I do the work.

I had intended to mask the model, and get the primer sprayed today, but that belly tank was still bugging me, so I've started to tackle that, and the primer will have to wait.
Some 'Milliput' has been moulded around the front of the belly tank, to try to improve the appearance. As mentioned earlier, the tank should be further forward, but if it is moved forward, then it doesn't fit, or conform to the fuselage contours.
The pics below show how it should look, with the start of the 'enhancement' work also shown.
Meanwhile, whilst waiting for the 'Milliput' to set, work has started on the under-wing drop tanks, the large (900 l ?) version being carried by this aircraft.
The kit parts seemed rather too elongated and 'slim', compared to photos and scale drawings, whilst those from the Fujimi kit, although perhaps a touch 'blunt' around the nose, are more bulbous and shorter, and look closer in shape and size to the originals, so these will be used, slightly 'enhanced', with a combination of Fujimi and Eduard attachments and supports.

PIC.1. How the tank looks, as fitted 'from the box'.
PICS 2 and 3. What the real tank looked like - note the shallow 'skirt' fairing on the fuselage, mentioned earlier, and how the front of the tank is much closer to the cannon ports.
PICS 4 and 5. The tank after moudling the 'Milliput' around the front end. This will be carved and sanded to final shape, blending in with the tank and fuselage contours, once fully set.
PIC.6. Scale drawing of the large drop tank, which compares well with photos of the actual tanks.
PIC 7. The Eduard representation of the tank - rather long and narrow, with recessed bands.
PIC 8. One of the Fujimi tanks assembled, and with the joints enhanced, and the fins thinned down slightly.

If I can get the belly tank faired in smoothly tomorrow, then I hope to be able to mask the required areas, and get the primer sprayed.
Thanks again for your interest, and I'll be back some time tomorrow .............

Users who are viewing this thread