**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf110D - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nearly done.
I was hoping to get the antenna 'wires' fitted this evening, but after dislodging the antenna mast, twice, during handling, I've had to re-fit it, and allow it to fully set.
All being well, I should get it done tomorrow afternoon, and I'll post pics then.

Thanks very much Jeff.
The kit is actually good overall, with a heck of a lot of detail parts, mostly to scale too. the problem is the design, and, what's worse, the location and size of sprue attachment points and all the moulding seams, many of which are almost impossible to remove properly, due to location and very delicate parts.
But, as Andy has mentioned, it does build into a nice model, although mine could have been better in some areas.

Just a few pics to be going on with, showing the props fitted, with abrasion to the rear faces, the antenna mast and rear MG15 in place, and the trailing aerial fairlead tube painted.
The antenna mast has been dislodged twice so far, and will need a little retouching after the 'wires' have been fitted. It's a shame about that small 'step' along the base of the main canopy, due to the part being slightly too narrow, but there's nothing I can do about it at this stage and at least it doesn't look too bad to the naked eye.
Given I get the antenna wires fitted successfully, I'll post the pics, and the finished thread, later today.

Bf110 Dackle build 331.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 336.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 333.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 334.JPG

The final bits, in the form of the antenna wires and the cockpit roof panel have been fitted, and it's now done !
The bl**dy thing has fought me to the very end, as the antenna mast, although firmly fixed, and reinforced with a spot of CA, moved after fitting the horizontal wire !
The problem is due to the locating pin on the base of the mast, which is only around 0.75mm long, and not really long enough to ensure a permanent, firm fix. Probably OK without the wire, but just the slightest touch moves the mast.
The pics below show the canopy roof in place, along with the wires, which are a tad tricky to see in these pics, I'll admit.
The tensioner at the rear, and the two insulators, were formed with PVA, and have yet to be painted in these pics.
I very nearly ruined the whole thing, as I had a fit of the giggles when fitting (or trying to fit), the lead-in wire to the fuselage, as I couldn't find the end of the thread - of course, being 'invisible' thread, I suppose that's not surprising. But I couldn't help thinking of the "Colour pics for a model I'm building" thread, which made things worse !!
Anyway, once my hands have recovered from the strain of trying to keep them perfectly still when fitting the wires, which was rather difficult due to having to lean over the model without catching the props or wing tips, causing it to move, I'll attempt to re-fix the mast, and ensure that the main wire remains taught.
The 'Finished' thread will follow very soon, once I've edited and re-sized the pics.

Bf110 Dackle build 337.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 338.JPG

Thanks Kirby, and yes, I agree. This mast is to scale, which means it's also slightly flexible. That, combined with the very short locating pin, doesn't help in retaining a firm fix.
Anyway, it's done now, and in the cabinet - another addition to my 'Battle of Britain - The Hardest Days' collection. Just another 27 to do !!
I've edited and re-sized the 'Finished' pics, and just about to create the thread.

:thumbright:

BTW.. Are you going to create the " ***** FINISHED: " thread or you want me to use your recent post here for that?

Got the braces in place, and a real tricky job it was too !
Alignment is slightly out on the starboard tank, but not too bad, and good enough for the cabinet, as it can only really be noticed if looking closely.
The MG15 for the rear cockpit has been cleaned-up (mould seams and sprue attachments on both the gun and the separate magazine, and a real fiddly job on such a delicate part.), and has had the basic painting done, but has yet to have a clear coat to smooth things out.
My hands and wrists are suffering a bit after a couple of hours of fiddling, so I'll leave the remaining small parts until tomorrow.

View attachment 479382 View attachment 479383 View attachment 479384
Just wondering on the MG- is that a bag to contain the fired casings, or a part of the mounting system??

It's a bag to collect the empty cases. On the starboard side of the rear cockpit, there was also a 'bin' for the empty 'saddle' magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back