**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Bf110D - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doing good Terry. I didn't notice the missing step ladder on mine until you mentioned it. Guess it's stuck in the retracted position - I'll go with that.

Got the braces in place, and a real tricky job it was too !
Alignment is slightly out on the starboard tank, but not too bad, and good enough for the cabinet, as it can only really be noticed if looking closely.
The MG15 for the rear cockpit has been cleaned-up (mould seams and sprue attachments on both the gun and the separate magazine, and a real fiddly job on such a delicate part.), and has had the basic painting done, but has yet to have a clear coat to smooth things out.
My hands and wrists are suffering a bit after a couple of hours of fiddling, so I'll leave the remaining small parts until tomorrow.

Bf110 Dackle build 315.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 316.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 318.JPG

Thanks Kirby and Wayne.
Just spent nearly two hours adjusting the props, and the fronts of the nacelles, in order to get a better fit of the props. I had to file down the 'collars' mentioned previously, which improved things slightly, then remove most of the prop shafts, leaving just enough to act as locating pins, and then file the fronts of the nacelles !
Fit still isn't perfect, but as good as it's going to get. The props will be cemented in place once the other small parts have been attached.
I'm getting fed-up with all the extra work needed on this kit, with poor fit, lots of seams and sprue attachments to remove, on every part,and some rather awkward parts too. I have another Eduard Bf110 to do, but I certainly won't be getting any more of them !
I'm now preparing to fit the rear canopy sections, in the open position, once I've figured out the best way to attach them, without effecting the clear areas
Given that they go on OK, then the final few bits can be added and, once the antenna mast has set, the wires can be attached, using 'invisible' thread.
I might have some pics later - if things work out !!

Almost there. Despite the challenges, I think the Eduard 110 builds up into a nicely detailed model. I think this was one of their earliest kit efforts and that they have smartened up their engineering a bit. I think that some of the smaller parts like those braces and the mass balances are actually done to proper scale, making them very thin and touch to attach to the sprues. I find other manufacturers tending to make such parts more beefy albeit easier to handle.

Thanks Andy, and it shows that this is one of their earlier kits. A bit more thought about sprue attachment points in particular, would have made a lot of difference. It certainly builds (eventually) into a nice model, but comparing it to the Fujimi kit, it is very over-engineered, the latter kit being a simple, straightforward build and, for the time (late 1970s) quite well detailed, albeit perhaps a touch basic by today's standards.
The Eduard kit, however, is more than a challenge - it's frustrating, tiresome and bl**dy irritating !!
Incidentally, the wing-tank braces are from the Fujimi kit, as are the tanks themselves. The sprue attachments were logically placed, on the ends of the vertical arms, whereas on the Eduard kit, they are on the edges of the arms, and the mass balance sprue attachments are on the bottoms of the horns, in each case being very difficult to remove without damaging the parts.
Anyway, after more tiresome parts clean-up, the mass balances are on, as well as the trailing aerial fairlead tube, although not yet painted, and the rear canopy open sections are in place, along with the cockpit side screens.

PIC 1. Trailing aerial tube in place. This will be painted when fully set, as will the aileron mass balances (not shown).
PICS 2 and 3. The open rear canopy sections and cockpit side screens were fitted using PVA. The port side screen may need to be removed, as some of the PVA seeped out onto the fuselage side. If it clears, I'll leave it, if not, then it'll be removed, cleaned up, and re-fixed.
The top edge of the windscreen frame needs to be re-touched, and the lower joints of the windscreen and main canopy have yet to receive a clear matt coat, to cover the bead of PVA used to seal and partially correct the joint.

Next step, once the parts have fully set and been painted or re-touched, is to fit the props and the main antenna mast which, once set, will have the antenna wires added using 'invisible' thread, and then fit the open roof panel to the cockpit canopy.
But meanwhile, whilst the parts are setting, I feel the need for a break, and some 'shake and bake' therapy, so I'm going to make a start on the Tamiya Bf109E ................

Bf110 Dackle build 325.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 324.JPG
Bf110 Dackle build 329.JPG

Thanks Wojtek and Andy.
I'll be honest, I haven't enjoyed this build, and I'll be glad to see the back of it !
That said, it'll be good experience when I get around to doing the other Eduard Bf110, as a machine from ErpGp 210 ............... I'm really looking forward to that one .... cough !

Thanks chaps.
The model has been set aside whilst the radio antenna mast fully sets, so that it will be firm when the 'wires' are attached. The remaining small parts, such as pitot tube and rear gun, have been fitted, and the cockpit canopy roof panel will be fitted in the open position, once the antenna wires have been attached.
I should get this all completed some time tomorrow, barring hold-ups or problems, so I'll post pics, and the 'Finished' thread then. Meanwhile, I'll continue with the Bf109 in my other thread.
Thanks again to all for your interest and encouragement - it's been appreciated in this rather tiresome build !

Thanks Glenn.
I have two more Bf110s to do for my BoB collection, but I have a feeling the next one might just be the old Fujimi kit ................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back