**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Fw 200 C-4 "Condor" - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
USERNAME: mikewint
FIRST NAME: Mike
CATEGORY: Intermediate
MANUFACTURER: Trumpeter
MODEL: Fw 200 C-4 "Condor"
AFTER MARKET: Nothing so far

Well me hat is in the ring so to speak. Won't do much for a week or so as outside temps are +75F (24C) and sunny and the Bambi herd is crying out to be reduced and my new drone is asking to be flown.
The Condor was a long range commercial airliner first flown in 1937. With the advent of WWII it was converted to military use and its long range made it an ideal maritime patrol bomber over the Atlantic convoy routes. Working along with the U-boat packs it made one of the most effective Luftwaffe combinations of the war. Armed with 5 MG 15 7.9mm machine guns and a MG FF 20mm cannon plus a 900kg kg bomb load or naval mines, Churchill called it "the Scourge of the Atlantic". Later versions carried 3 torpedoes and in 1943 a version equipped with Hs 293 guided missiles. The Condor's effectiveness began to end in mid-1941 with the advent of RAF long-range Coastal Command aircraft and Hurricanes launched from CAM ships. The Luftwaffe converted them to cargo carriers flying supplies into Stalingrad and by late 1943 it was entirely use to carry cargo. Germany built a total of 276 Condors and today just one sort of survives. In 1999 a Condor that had been ditched in a Norwegian Fjord was recovered, sort of, as the airframe collapsed. The remains were delivered to the German Museum of Technology in Berlin to be restored. In 2009 a pair of wings were recovered near Voss in Norway and also sent to the Museum.
IMG_2082.JPG

For 57 years, a Condor aircraft lay 60 metres deep at the bottom of the Norwegian Trondheimsfjord. Then, in 1999, the plane was salvaged at the behest of the German Museum of Technology in Berlin.
Günter Büker, an Airbus controlling manager at the time, was there. He travelled to Norway on his own initiative and at his own expense. Büker, who has now retired, feels an affinity to the plane: his father was an aircraft engineer who worked on the Condor's vertical stabilizer before being called up for military service, and his mother had a kiosk on the premises of Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau AG in Bremen, the company that built the aircraft.
In Norway, Büker was one of the many people waiting and watching near the salvage platform. Everyone was holding their breath as the crane lifted the wreck clear of the water.
"The machine weighed about 15 tonnes more than it should have, as it was full of mud and sediment," Büker remembers. When the crane tried to set it down, disaster struck: the machine broke into countless individual pieces. He returned home "really frustrated. I thought that was it".
Despite the setback, a group of Airbus pensioners have been turning the badly damaged aircraft into a handsome piece of commercial aviation history, together with the German Museum of Technology in Berlin, Rolls-Royce and Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung.

In February 1942, the aircraft ditched because of a technical fault and has lain since then at a depth of over 60 meters (197 feet). The plane was acquired for the German Museum of Technology in Berlin, but recovery proved complicated because corrosion was worse than under-water inspections initially suggested.

In 1981, the remains of this aircraft were for the first time located in a Norwegian fjord near Trondheim. Experts soon realized the value of the wreck. The remains of a Focke-Wulf Fw 200 were an absolute rarity – the world's only known airplane of this type!

A group of 15 pensioners began to renovate the tail at the Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung in Hamburg. Work started on the engines at Rolls-Royce in Berlin and Oberursel, and restoration and reconstruction of the wings and fuselage began at Airbus in Bremen. Just as in every other hangar on the site, people are hard at work, but with one major difference: none of the workers in this hangar is under the age of 60, and the oldest is 92.
For 14 years, this group of 60 volunteers, nearly all pensioners, has been meeting twice a week to restore the Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor.

Their project leader is 70-year-old Günter Büker, the man who witnessed the salvation of the aircraft. In Bremen, he was one of the first workers to set eyes on the wreck, together with his fellow enthusiast Peter Wiesner. There is no doubt in the minds of the Airbus' experts: it will all be worth it even though the plane will never fly again.

Aeronautical engineer Peter Wiesner has been involved in the restoration project since the beginning. The 74-year-old Wiesner was an aeronautical engineering officer in the German air force before his retirement. He says that there is something he remembers very vividly from that moment: the smell. It stank of fish, mud and moldy water.

"The wreck looked so bad that many Airbus colleagues told us to just throw the thing back into the water," he recalls. Instead, Wiesner started salvaging parts and removing the mud, while Büker was looking for more volunteers to help restore the aircraft to its former glory. In Germany, the Condor was considered the apogee of civil aviation in the 1930s and it was the largest aircraft ever fully constructed and serially produced in Bremen.
Measuring 24 metres long, there was room for up to 26 passengers. With a span of 33 metres, the wings were only 1.5 metres shorter than those of an A320.
The plane was designed by engineer Kurt Tank, who was head of Focke-Wulf Flugzeugbau AG in Bremen, and built in just over a year.
"This was an incredible achievement by all those involved – from apprentice to plant manager", explains work shop manager Peter Wiesner. "Everything had to be done by hand, even the design engineers had to use slide-rules for the calculations and draw the designs manually."

On 27 July 1937, the Condor took off in Bremen and only one year later it had completed its record-breaking flight: in August 1938, the 18-tonne Condor flew non-stop from Berlin to New York and was the first landplane to cross the Atlantic – in 24 hours.
Fritz Schneider still remembers the attention it drew. The 92-year-old began an apprenticeship as an aircraft engineer at Focke-Wulf in 1939. He was still a youngster then and was proud to be one of the 176 apprentices with the airplane manufacturer in Bremen.
"Everyone was talking about the first flight of the Condor and it was reported in all the newspapers in Bremen," he says.

What the team in Bremen has achieved so far looks promising. In 2016, the workers managed to connect the right outer wing of the aircraft with its inner wing. In addition, two 10-metre long fuselage parts were joined together for the first time: a major milestone in the project.

Now the restoration team is working on the left wing and the fuselage. While the wings could mostly be reconstructed using restored parts, the fuselage was damaged to such an extent that it has to be completely rebuilt.
It's difficult work – like a giant jigsaw puzzle with a lot of pieces missing. The blueprints and many original parts no longer exist, so the Condor engineers have to construct new parts and then adapt them, which is painstakingly detailed work.

The aircraft will never fly again, but everyone hopes to see the day when it rolls out of the hangar once more. As Büker says: "We've already lost a few colleagues, and the health of one or two is deteriorating. But we all hope that we will bring this to a successful end together. This project has become an important part of the lives of everyone who works here."

Büker estimates that it will be around another two years before the plane will look like it used to. Then it will be displayed in the German Museum of Technology in Berlin.
But the pensioners still have a lot of work to do first, including one of their greatest challenges: at some point, all individual structural elements of the plane will have to be assembled.
Condor-salvage-carousel-1.2017-03-22-10-02-49.jpg
Condor-complete-chapter-4.2017-03-22-10-02-50.jpg

Excellent background on the recovery and reconstruction.
Now them, is the second image actually the restoration to date, or a CAD image of how it will look ? I'm thinking the latter, but either way, it's an ambitious and important project, and I'd like to think I'll maybe get the chance to see it some day.

Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing the smaller version grow !

Andy, it is indeed CGI. The problem for the restoration team is the sheer size of the aircraft. They do not, at present have the hanger space to assemble the full aircraft and are essentially working on pieces to eventually be joined.
From this:
condor120.png

To this:
Condor Restaurierung_Sarbach.jpg

OK, the big news is that I opened the box: APPLAUSE!!!
First impression was WOW a large heavy weight, shiny, full color painting and marking guide...followed by CREPE, the colors are wrong. Seems as if Trumpeter apparently has a sweetheart deal with Grunze Sanyo Mr. Color to ony use their paints...and natch Gunze doesn't do RLM. So instead of a simple RLM 72 / RLM 73 splinter cammo they give MIXING instructions: H65/18 90% + H3/3 5% + H5/5 5%. Seriously Trumpeter do you really think I can figure out 5%...DAs
Second impression WOW a very nicely done very clear and detailed 16 PAGE assembly instruction guide....followed by CREPE there is NOT a paint list just, once again, Gunze Sanyo Mr. Color paint numbers like H116 and H70/60. To the internet we go to find Black Grey and Gray. Fortunately having done enough Luftwaffe I can translate to RLM 66 and 02....DAs
Third impression was WOW there are EIGHT part trees and a separately boxed fuselage in two pieces all very nicely cast with essentially zero flash
Fourth, nice clear decals in their own envelope and a very nice film instrument panel. Keeping PC Trumpeter doesn't do Swastikas so we have the twp piece decal and a blank spot to show where they go...wussies!

IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG

Paul thank you. While I know a bit of German tech terms can be daunting and German script as well, takes a bit of getting used to plus the differing styles. My kit is a C-4 they (Trumpeter) did include the six fuselage tanks...what a plumbers nightmare. Thought it was pretty clever the way the Germans mounted them to inclined planes so the output valve was the lowest point

Paul thank you. While I know a bit of German tech terms can be daunting and German script as well, takes a bit of getting used to plus the differing styles. My kit is a C-4 they (Trumpeter) did include the six fuselage tanks...what a plumbers nightmare. Thought it was pretty clever the way the Germans mounted them to inclined planes so the output valve was the lowest point

Your welcome Mike, just wished I had the C-4 manual for you but no dice. She will be interesting to watch you put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back