**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Fw 200 C-4 "Condor" - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you gentlemen. Heavy cold (0C) overcast day with rain/ice/snow inbound so a perfect day to spend masking %$#^#*&# the canopy....fun, fun, fun, til Daddy takes the T-bird away!

SOME of us live where the SUN shines Most of the time and you don't have to dress like an Eskimo 9 months a year. There are already about 200 schools closed in anticipation of the incoming storm. Fortunately by Thurs it will be back in the 10-15C range

cat-in-the-snow.jpg

Talk about finding a pony in a pile of manure... That much snow is just a horror show to me.

I just read this entire thread and found it interesting since I had never realized that the Germans had a large four-engine plane in WW2. And I also know from first hand experience that Germans do tend to over-engineer things. Just because they're complicated doesn't mean it's good. Case in point. The two-way casement window in our home in Duesseldorf where we lived from '99 to '02. They were very solid and complicated windows where if you turned the handle 1/4 turn the window would open from the top, and if you turned in half-way round the window opened from the side as a casement. It had this series of cams and locks to do this. Our house was robbed and the burglars got in through one of those highly-engineered windows. The German police said they can jimmy one in 30 seconds. Complicated? Yes! Secure? Not so hot! German cars see to follow the same pattern. I've never seen landing gear like that Condor except for the massive ones that sit under the B-1 Lancer. I've looked at videos of this plane lifting these gear and it's quite something to see. Sorry to hijack the thread...

B1-b Main Gear - 1.jpg

Germans do tend to over-engineer things.
I would tend to agree to a certain extent. It is in effect like deciding that the only way to fly is to have flapping wings and then proceed to "make it work no matter what". German WWII tank design is an even better example of that mind-set, bigger,heavier, more and more armor. Tanks so big no bridge could hold them and so wide no rail road could transport them. Tanks that broke down under their own weight.
The Condor was not a purpose built military aircraft and as such the airframe had a tough time handling the stress of military maneuvers and many suffered catastrophic structural failures. Once Walther Wever was killed the German Heavy bomber program was finished and proponents of small close-support aircraft like Udet took over. It is interesting to speculate how the BoB would have transpired had the Germans had a heavy strategic bomber to target British industry

OK Gentlesirs ALL of the parts are in place and the basic paint scheme is in place 65/72/73. Time to fiddle with some weathering and dirtying-up the beast then Future - Decals - and flat clear. So not quite finished yet. Supposed freezing rain tonight into Sunday so I might even get a good bit of that done this weekend. Oh yea, Nota Bene: one aileron is UP and the other is DOWN!!
Lastly thought I'd do a bit of size comparisons. Brought out one of my 109s and one of my Tante Ju's. As I thought the Ju-52 is really not that much smaller than the Condor
IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Tis that! My second biggest after the 1/49 B-29 though old Tante Ju is a big girl too. The Ju-52 was 96.0 ft and the Condor 108.0 ft so just 12ft (3.66m) difference

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back