**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Ki-61-Id Hien - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The clear parts comes into two sets: open and closed. Not unusual. However, Tamiya takes an extra step and provides fuselage components specific open or closed canopy configurations. I've chosen to have the canopy open on mine. Posing the canopy is not an option with the rear fuselage component for open canopy in place. See the cut-out below the rear canopy piece? That is to accommodate the open canopy without unrealistically bulging it out. The rear fuselage piece for the closed canopy lacks the cutout.
IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

Another nice touch from Tamiya is the inclusion of canopy masks. I was skeptical about these since you are required to cut them out manually. They many not be as convenient as the masks from Eduard or Montex but they are less onerous than doing the masking all by yourself. Each mask is very small on this 1/48 scale kit and the rounded corners are difficult to cut. I ignored the rounded corners when cutting the masks out and used scissors to snip tiny triangles off the corners... close enough.
IMG_2009.jpg

This Tamiya kit is REALLY good but not perfect. I found the trailing edges of the prop to be unacceptably thick and chose to thin them down.
IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

The build was going so smoothly, I was forgetting to document what I was doing. The wings have been glued into place by this point. The fit is simply fantastic with no putty required. The landing light insert was painted and glued into place.
IMG_2015.jpg

The clear cover for the landing light is molded with part of the surrounding wing and not just the clear portion. This is much better... by masking the clear portion, you can avoid a potentially visible glue joint.
IMG_2016.jpg

The gun cowling piece is glued into place. Again, the fit is great. Tamiya provides a mask for the landing light, which has been stuck on.
IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

The front and rear radiator mesh covers are glued into place.
IMG_2021.jpg

The tail stabs are attached.
IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

We are quickly approaching the painting stage. Before I put on the canopy pieces, I'll take some final pictures of the view into the cockpit.
IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

Thanks guys! I like the material that Tamiya uses for their masks. Similar to their tape and similar to the Eduard masks, but as Andy has observed, a little thinner. If you use them, be firm when you cut the masks out. They come off their backing fairly easy so it's possible for them to slide off their backing during an indecisive cut.

Very nice work Kim am in awe :-\"

Thanks for the comments! The work on the Hien continues. I've attached the front and rear canopy pieces. Since the canopy will be posed open and the sliding canopy does not fit in a closed position, I've masked the cockpit opening with tape.
IMG_2027.jpg

The radiator intake box on the bottom has been completed.
IMG_2028.jpg

The wheels are keyed into the landing gear struts. Being of fixed position, the flat spots on the tires needed to be in the correct location. I dry fit the landing gear components and then set the wheels down on wet spots of paint to locate the flat spots.
IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

The wheels were rubbed on a sheet of sandpaper taped to a piece of flat glass to achieve the flat spots.
IMG_2032.jpg

I'll be working on the landing gear components a bit before I move on to painting of the airframe.

Quick progress John.

Yeah, I'm spending my normal amount of time stewing over every little thing. Plus the kit falls together beautifully. I think I'm going to skip the hairspray thing and do the chipping in another way. I've been meaning to play with Kirby's suggestion of sponge chipping, which I've never done. All of this makes for a relatively speed build!

Good stuff John, and looks like a very nice kit, with some thought going in to the engineering. I was particularly impressed by the approach to the landing lamp, something I've wanted to see for many years. So much easier and neater masking the lens shape, rather than have a 'shaped' lens with less than perfect fit.

I totally agree Terry! I'd much rather have the clear piece have some framing molded around it so that it can be masked to hide the glue join. The windscreen is another example where Tamiya included a bit of the forward fuselage around the windscreen base. The engineering on this kit is first class.

I've added some brake lines on the landing gear. Because the wheels are keyed into position on the landing gear leg, I can attach the brake line to the wheel itself. I've drilled out a tiny hole as a receptacle.
IMG_2033.jpg

After the landing gear components are painted, I can put the end of the brake line into the little hole. That's the plan anyway. This is based on photographs of a restored Hien.
IMG_2034.jpg

I used a Thinnerline cutter to cut circular masks for the painting of the wheels. This thing cuts very neat circles and is capable of smaller circles than a compass cutter. The only bad thing is that dialing in a particular size circle is guess work and repetition... no exact measurements are available.
IMG_2036.jpg

Here are all of the landing gear components with the base paint on and a layer of clear gloss applied.
IMG_2037.jpg

The prop has been painted. The chipping was done with sponge... a new technique that I wanted to try. The markings on the blades are from the Lifelike decal sheet and specific to Hien #5262. I'm still not 100% sure of doing the all-green 5262. I'm still drawn toward the challenge of doing a crazy mottle scheme. Waitaminute... this is supposed to be a simple build right?
IMG_2039.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back