**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Username: Jeff Hunt
Name: Jeff
Category: Intermediate
Scale; 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Nakajima A6M2-N Type 2
OOB

This will be the first of at least two ( I hope ) aircraft for this build. Not sure which exact aircraft I am going to finish this as but I am looking forward to this build to add another Japanese aircraft to my fleet.

IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG

I know I am a bit early but I have posted in GB 36 questions thread about possibly getting a head start as I have surgery on my hand scheduled for the middle of next week.

Cheers all and here's hoping for lots of entries in this build.

Cheers,

Jeff

Got things started today and began with the main pontoon. Construction was straight forward as it consisted of two pieces. Put about 25 grams of weight in the front end of the pontoon before gluing her together. After I let that set, I gave her a spray of light grey which was mixed from flat white and just a hint of black. I then took his royal highness for a long walk, had some lunch and after the paint was dry I sprayed it with Future.

Once that was dry I applied the red warning decals and will now allow the entire assembly to dry over night. Tomorrow I will weather the unit and then give it a coat of dull coat.

I built and finished the pontoon separately as it would have been finicky as fudge to paint and decal this bird once everything is together as she is quite ungainly to handle.

IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG

No doubt, small touch ups will be required at some point in the future.

Thanks to my fellow modellers for agreeing to let me get a bit of a jump on this build.

Cheers,

Jeff

A classic. I keep putting off buying this one. Looking forward to the build as this may convince me to purchase one. I know the surgery is now a fait accompli but I haven't got to that thread yet (always have 8 pages off catch-up after camp)

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

As you can see, this build is going to depict a heavily used, ultra grungy looking Rufe. Got this done last Sunday but just getting around to posting now. The hand is feeling pretty good so I expect to be able to get back to the table on 01November if time permits.

Cheers,

Jeff

Just out having a coffee at Timmies ( no explanation needed for my fellow Canucks) and then grocery shopping. The hand is healing well and the stitches come out this coming Thursday. Lousy weather today so the plan is to hit the WB this afternoon as Mother Superior is out. I ordered canopy masks this morning for this bird as well as my Hasegawa Ju-87 B2 and my Meng Me-410. I am willing to build either as my second build for this GB so let me know which one you would rather see done.

Cheers,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back