**** DONE: GB-37 1/72 Westand Sea King - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My apologies once again folks for the tardy update. truth is that Ive not had a lot of time and further, progress with this beast is very slow because of fit issues. But some progress has been made and it deserves an update at this point

I wish I could make the story exciting and unusual, but the truth is its just been a case of bogging up and sanding mostly, to try and overcome the terrible fit issues that have dogged me the whole way with this build. The only way I can attack that is slowly and carefully as making poor fits work is just not my forte. It doesn't come naturally for me.

Anyway here are the progress shots, for better or for worse.....

Port foreqtr I.jpg

This is the Port Forequarter with that air filter like thingy removed. ive applied the Sea Grey and painted the LG and turbine inlets . there is a ton of filler around the main glazing of the cockpit, and a really massivefilling and sanding to get to this point amount of body fit

Port foreqtr II.jpg

Same shot but with the apparatus that sits above the cockpit dry fitted. It not glued yet, and I am not 100% happy with the alignment. Its sitting too high and rather skewed in my opinion.

Stbd Fore qtr I.jpg

Stbd side foreqtr with that misalignment problem shown very clearly. What I call the "AEW bag" has been configured in the deflated configuration and also stowed in the transport mode. it is only dry fitted at this stage, but the fit overall is pretty good

Stbd Rear qtr I.jpg

Stbd rear qtr with main hatch slid closed. I have spent a lot of time and effort, believe it or not, making those little boxes and other protrusions from the main body "meld" to the main fuselage with no obvious "glued on" lines visible.

Stbd Rear qtr II.jpg

Same shot, but with the main hatch open again. if you are wondering what the hell I'm doing, I'm thinking whether to keep the hatch open or shut, or both for the completed shots.

Stbd Rear qtr III.jpg

Same shot with the "AEW bag" fitted

Last edited:
Another week and another mm forward. ive removed the masking from the glazing to reveal mixed results. Gnerally okay but as usual there are colour bleeds. Terry got it more or less spot on with his warning , I thought I had it covered, but not quite....

Ive spent the week cleaning up the mess and for the most part the clear bits aren't too bad, though I'm the first to curse some of the imperfections and admit they are there.

Ive put together the main totor and painted it. It was actually a bit tricky, as one of the blades played up a bit.

Today I applied most of the decals, though I seem to have a lot left to do. ive whinged endlesslessly about the fit issues but the decals for this kit are very good in my opinion . I read that the decals were updated in 2001.......if that is the case it shows in the quality of these decals

The end is in sight for this build. I have yet to fit the main rotor, finish the decaling, fit the tail rotor, fit the rear vision mirrors and the wipers and undertake a final clean up. Ive decided not to weather this bird .

I hope to finish this build this weekend, with a little favourable breezes should be possible

Port foreqtr III.jpg

Stbd Fore qtr II.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back