***** DONE: GB-38 1/48 IAR-80 – Axis A/C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
1/48 IAR-80

Username : donivanp
First name : Don
Category : intermidiate
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Hobby Boss Romanian IAR-80
Extras : None

As this is about the Axis and their allies, I thought this would be a good time to tackle this recent kit from Hobby Boss. I know very little about the subject and knew nothing when I bought the kit. I am doing this OOB as funds are scarce around here so I think the aircraft tail number 42 will be my subject. It shows some combat markings and I like that.

20180519_140046-1.jpg
20180519_140107-1.jpg

So What's in the box? We have six sprues carefully wrapped and sealed in plastic.
20180519_140140-1.jpg
20180519_140150-1.jpg
20180519_140201-1.jpg
20180519_140210-1.jpg

and a small PE sheet plus a small decal sheet with markings for two aircraft.
20180519_140226-1.jpg
20180519_140240-1.jpg

The Romanian I.A.R 80 plane was a design started in 1937. The plane was of the monoplane type but based on the Polish , pre-war PZL P-24 fighter. Its fuselage with the entire internal equipment was used. Initailly the prototype was also powered by the same engine used for the PZL P-24E. Here pics of the two planes seen at the kit box.

IAR 80 White 42.jpg

IAR 80 White 137 1943.jpg

The top camo was made using the RAF colours... the Dark Green ( FS34079 ) and Dark Earth ( FS30118 ). The undersides were possible of the RAF Sky Blue ( FS 55550 ). But it seems that the RLM76 ( FS 36473 ) matches nicely . The planes used in the Eastern Front got the yellow engine cowlings and the band on fuselages... RLM04 ( FS 33538 ) or RLM27 ( FS 33637 ) .

Another source says the Earth Brown FS 30219, Olive Green FS 34127 or 34096, Blue Grey FS 35526.The cockpit interior Grey FS 36622 and Dark Grey FS 36231 for the rest of the plane interior. The yellow colour like mentioned above.

And here the "42" during taking off and landing ( the last image) ...
AFAIK those photos are stills - short movie with more information can be found here:

Many of the shots show how the fuselage-camo wraps around and there is no lower camouflage behind the wing.

Last edited:
...Many of the shots show how the fuselage-camo wraps around and there is no lower camouflage behind the wing.

The statment made me curious about that..... General info says that the planes of numbers 1-300 were painted with the camo that wrapped around the entire fuselage at the rear area. The kind of the camo was used in 1940-1942. However, I decided to have a close up look at the existed images of the Romanian I.A.R. 80/81s. Here is what I found. Generally, the undersides were painted with the blue-grey colour for most of the planes. Usually, the demarcation line between the top colours and the bottom one was at the bottom main stringer of the fuselage. See pics below.

iar_1.jpg

iar_2.jpg

iar_4.jpg

iar_5.jpg

iar_6.jpg

However it seems there were planes that had the demarcation line moved a little bit down ... that might be the reason for not noticing of the bottom colour especially if the pic was taken on a sunny day. The shadow at the bottom of the fusealge makes the trick and doesn't allow to see the undersides fully. Also the quality of many pictures does the same. However using the Gamma correction it can help. Please look at the enlarged shots below... the thin lighter line at the bottom of the fuselage ...

iar_7.jpg

iar_8.jpg

and here another one...

iar_3.jpg

Because I couldn't find a shot of the "White 42" of a very good quality and size I have taken a screenshot from the documantal film. Initially the bottom colour can't be noticed but when using the Gamma correction a kind of a thin lighter line at the fuselage bottom may be seen. IMHO it might mean that the plane could have had the demarcation line of colours moved down. At least at the time the movie was made. But certainly I might be wrong. Anyway, no a straight answer.

iar_42.jpg

iar_42a.jpg

iar_42b.jpg

Here is the plane of the number 118. Undoubtedly the kite didn't have the underside coat of the fusealge at the rear part.

iar_118_a.jpg

iar_118_b.jpg

iar_118_c.jpg

iar_118d.jpg

Generally, the undersides were painted with the blue-grey colour for most of the planes...
Undoubtedly there are many planes with bottom fuselage painted in lighter colour as per the period photos. IMHO "many", "a lot", "most" etc. are words we use to describe things we have seen. Not what we haven't. In this particular case I wanted to point to the fact that NOT ALL IAR-planes had the demarcation line. I tend to trust people like Radu Brinzan and his books when it comes to colours, markings etc. of the IAR.
He has a profile and markings for the 42. I believe this is the IAR with #42 from the boxart. And of course it's up to the modeler to make his own choice. The 2 books of Radu Brinzan offer plenty of information:
1972-10.jpg
30c91479dd32aa148815d1d76cde9bf59879ac58.jpg
7514349_orig.jpg

BTW the a/c from the stills has no markings on the tail. Could this be a different plane?

Last edited:
...BTW the a/c from the stills has no markings on the tail. Could this be a different plane?

Not sure if that's the different plane. But possible, of course. Also it is likely that's the plane before applying of the victory markings there. What is more the stills aren't of a great quality because the movie isn't of the best one as well. Usually this resuls in the lack of many details visible.

Great discussion and infor. I watched some of the videos of the IAR's and did indeed note some were painted in a wraparound and others were not. I did not know why but thought it might have been 81's in the wraparound as the ground support versions. I guess that was a bad guess on my part!

Not sure if that's the different plane...
I think it was my mistake to say this: there should be only one 42 (or whatever number) - those are serials on the IAR-planes. BTW this below is a better photo of the bird (I guess). No definitive proof about the wrap-around camo though:
25i2j28.jpg

Yep. I have already posted the pic in the post #2. Also I tried to reveal the undersides with the Gamma correction. Unfortunately it didn't help. But I have to say that the camo wrapping around the rear part of the fuselage is more than very likely though. Similar to that the appearance of the no. 137 seems to be the same. Additionally I uploaded below , a pic of the No.91 that looks the same..Because there is no evidence of the blue-grey colour there I would follow the general info about painting of the Romanian I.A.R. 80/81 that can be found in the Stratus and Rado Brinzan's publications.

IAR80_91.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back