**** DONE: GB-39 1:48 CR. 42 Falco - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Italeri"! OMG!!! That's Italian... and doesn't know its own language! They must have delegated elsewhere manufacturing...

Anyway, my compliments for the accurate workmanship and excellent result on the model.

Cheers,
GB

Thanks for the compliment. I may have a go a fixing the D to a P with a fine pen and brush.

Meanwhile, I got the matte coat on and wrestled the upper wing into place. I kinda rushed myself into doing the matte coat without thinking first about doing a panel wash so I'll need to do some careful highlighting after the fact. I'm going for a relatively clean look though as I'm assuming these aircraft would have had lots of opportunity to be well maintained before Italy declared war on France.

18111201.jpg

The upper wing placement went about as good as could be expected; not all of the struts fit the contours of the lower wing and a few were way off. The process I used was to attach the center struts first using CA on the end of a toothpick and then lining up the rest in sequence working my way outwards toward the wingtips. Because of the tight quarters, some of the CA pooled and dried in the nearby painted surfaces so I was forced to file the bumps down, sacrificing the previously applied camo which will need to be touched up.

18111202.jpg
18111203.jpg
18111204.jpg

The large gaps like the one above were filled with my Terracotta Milliput. I rolled a thin worm of this stuff and stuffed it into the gaps with the end of my scalpel then shaped the material with a toothpick and a wet, stiff paint brush. After allowing this to dry, I will file these areas smooth and repaint.

18111206.jpg

My initial stab at using stretched sprue for the control lines wasn't very successful as the fragile material sagged and in some cases broke. I discarded them and replaced them with 0.2mm brass rod, a bit thick but much stronger and straighter. After painting these should look acceptable. Again some touch up will be needed were I got some excess CA onto the finished paint. Note also the pitot tube made with brass rod and the nav light painted red with a tiny bubble of CA placed on the end to represent the lens.

18111205.jpg

That's how she sits as we speak. More to come soon. Thanks for looking.

Andy great work, mine that I started a few years ago leave it until you have enough skill to correct the different problems that the model has, that #202 especially you have shown how you always do some worthy jobs to follow and learn from them, thanks mate

First attempt at touch ups around the struts. These close-ups, brutal as they are, catch things that my eye doesn't, even when I wear my magnifiers. Looks a bit rough still so a few dabs here and there may be in order.

18111301.jpg
18111302.jpg
18111303.jpg

The cockpit sill and windscreen frame are supposed to have a leather padded strip that was omitted from the kit. I used some thin solder CA glued to these surfaces to replicate the padding. I will prime this and then paint it brown with a thin brush next.

18111304.jpg

There is some rigging needed within the outer strut space and this will be added when I grow a pair....

Thanks everyone. To be honest, I had forgotten to attach the rigging to the struts on the upper wing before I glued the wing in place. That would have allowed me to possibly drill some small holes and have one end of the wires in place rather than having to do laser surgery on both ends. We'll see how it goes. I may try stretched sprue if I can keep the stuff straight.

Not much progress I'm afraid. I had one small session in which I was able to discard the idea of using stretched sprue. The kit sprues are quite soft and for the diameter I need, the thin strands were both fragile and would not stay straight. I therefore pulled out a reel of nylon fishing line and got one end of two wires glued on place with CA but my attempts to get the other end secured with enough tension were unsuccessful. There's no way to drill holes in the struts as 1) I can't get a drill at the right angle and 2) the strut ends are faired to a sharp edge. I need to free up one of my hands to get this done properly but have not yet found a way to secure the model without breaking something.

It occurred to me while writing this that I should try using stretched CLEAR sprue. This stuff tends to be stiffer and might stay straight for me. Will post again when I get something working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back