**** DONE: GB-39 1:48 CR. 42 Falco - Battle for France to Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, the clear sprue proved to be the way to go as this stuff behaved much better than the grey plastic and nylon fishing line. Not sure why but I know that the clear plastic is much stiffer than the opaque and this allowed the stretched sprue to remain straight and much easier to work with. It removed the variable of having to pull the wires straight and hold them at the attachment point to remove the sag while the CA set up, and operation that needs at least 3 small, steady hands!. The straight pieces were simply attached with CA at one end with the other end laid against the opposite strut near the attachment point. Once the CA set, the other side was trimmed to the right length, pinched to the attached point (it held itself there - I didn't have to hold it) and a dab of CA on the end of a toothpick secured the "wire" in place.

Here's a shot showing the wires after I brushed on a coat of Alclad Steel.

18111601.jpg

The cockpit sill padding received a coat of primer and was topped with brown. This is my first close-up view of it and I may need to lay a bead of PVA in the seam to blend in the "leather" better.

18111602.jpg

Not sure what these are but they appear on the outer struts on both wings. We seem to have a pitot tube as shown and then these other instruments as well. Whatever they are, the kit part was commendably moulded but still was rather bulky. The Eduard detail set provides replacements but, as with all PE parts, these are 2-dimensional and not very realistic. I therefore chose to make my own using brass tube. The main tube was bent to represent the jog seen on the original (neither the kit parts nor the Eduard pieces had this) and the shorter tube was separated from the main one with a a tiny piece of plastic card. The wire is made of 0.2mm diameter lead. All will receive a brush coat of Alclad Steel and the tips will be silver.

18111603.jpg

With this last it of fiddly work done, all that remains is a final look-over and touch up so I should be finished some time this week. Thanks once again for watching,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back