**** DONE: GB-40 1/72 B-17G “Carolina Moon” - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Academy Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress
Scale: 1/72nd
Accessories: Squadron Crystal Clear canopy and True Details wheel sets

In the Heavy Hitters II GB I built "Booby Trap" a B-24 that my father remembered from his time with the 490th Bomb Group. This time I've picked a B-17 from his group.

B-17G-75-BO 43-37907 "Carolina Moon" was with the 851st Bomb Squadron, 490th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force based at Eye, Suffolk England from early July 1944 until the end of the war.

Dad was with the 848th squadron which was equipped with B-24s at the time so most of his stories involved B-24s but his flight records show that he did make one training flight with the 851st squadron aboard a B-17G on Aug 9th, 1944 so there is a chance although small (approx. 1 in 18) that it could have been on this aircraft.

I have the Squadron Crystal Clear canopy set which I will be using some of and I intend to get the True Details wheel set. Other than that I will be building it pretty much out of the box.

Carolina Moon nose.jpg
Carolina Moon nose profile.jpg
Carolina Moon.jpg
987 snow.jpg
profile.jpg
B-17G Boxtop.jpg

Source of pictures: The Internet

Last edited:
I made a start on it today painting the interior parts chromate green with a dark wash. I then put together the main interior assembly. I'm still not sure weather I'll have the bomb bay open or closed but for now I'm leaving mu options open.

P1012663.JPG
P1012664.JPG

A good choice, Glenn.
It is a good step to start your participation. I'm glad to see you here in action.
There will be much to learn in the process of this great bomber.

Saludos :thumbup:

Been doing some work on it this week and will post an update with pictures tonight.
Will be a nice build.
Things are so much easier when kit decals are used!!!!
Mine cost more than the kit to have printed...... :eek:
To tell the truth, I'm not at all happy with kit decals so I ordered aftermarket decals for the same aircraft last night. I'll post that tonight also.

Sections of the nose are made of clear plastic so the cheek windows of different B-17 models can use the same fuselage molds. The fit is OK but the joints still need some filler and a bit of blending in with a needle file.

The glued in window sections before
125.JPG
126.JPG

After filling, filing, sanding buffing and re-scribing
127.JPG
128.JPG

The waste windows on earlier B-17s were directly across from each other while later models had the windows staggered, the starboard side window being moved forward so the gunners wouldn't be tripping over each other. To accommodate both types Academy did made recesses for both windows in the starboard side to be cut out by the modeler
130.JPG
131.JPG

P1012669.JPG

I took a closer look at the decals yesterday comparing them to the picture of the actual aircraft and wasn't real pleased with the detail. The nose art had none of the shading, the small writing was rather vague and there was a red heart on the fuselage near the tail which was totally missing. I found a decal sheet on eBay which looked much better and ordered it yesterday.
The first picture is a cropping of the actually aircraft. The second is the kit decals while the third is cropped from the eBay listing blown up so not as clear but still looking much better.
This also eliminates my fear of using Academy decals which I have always had bad luck with.

200.jpg
201.JPG
202.jpg

Good stuff Glen.
However, note that by this period, on the B-17G, most of the interior was clear lacquered bare metal. Bulkhead normally had their frames in ZC, and possibly the bomb racks and beams, but otherwise, 'aluminium' overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back