**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 SB2C-4 Helldiver - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is the tape adhesive too strong.
I don't recognize that white tape.
Are you using Tamiya tape for masking?
The adhesive is not as aggressive in the Tamiya range.
The white is Tamiya vinyl tape and the other is the Tamiya masking tape. They all take the acrylics off. Had this issue from the get go with acrylics.

De-tack, de-tack, de-tack and then de-tack once more. I just press it down enough to stick to the model, gently press the tape into panel lines with a round toothpick or a finger nail and then seal the edge with a clear coat to stop bleed under.

Are you priming, even with the Tamiya rattle can fine primer?
You could even try washing the parts with a light detergent and rinsing well and let air dry.
Give the plastic a light buff with 100 grit sand paper maybe.
Keep everything oily hands free.
Just sayin, not pointing fingers.

De-tack, de-tack, de-tack and then de-tack once more. I just press it down enough to stick to the model, gently press the tape into panel lines with a round toothpick or a finger nail and then seal the edge with a clear coat to stop bleed under.
Been de-tacking, running it up and down my arm two three times before applying. There has to be a better way. I miss my enamels at times like these! What I did this time was mask the yellow and then I used liquid mask on the yellow. Learning to paint with a toothpick real well also.

It's a pusslement,
I've only had a problem with paint sneaking Under the tape.
Learned my lesson tho.
Never with it pulling off even Not using a primer, which I rarely use.

The liquid mask helped get the job done. After attaching the APS4 radar pod, I'm calling this complete.

IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_3726.JPG
IMG_3727.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG
IMG_3731.JPG
IMG_3732.JPG
IMG_3733.JPG
IMG_3734.JPG
IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG
IMG_3743.JPG
IMG_3745.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbright:

Just a question.. what for did you post these pics here while you re-uploaded them to the FINISHED thread as well? Just the double work IMHO. You could post here one or two pics of the finished model only and it would be enough.

:thumbright:

Just a question.. what for did you post these pics here while you re-uploaded them to the FINISHED thread as well? Just the double work IMHO. You could post here one or two pics of the finished model only and it would be enough.
I don't know. Just thought I was supposed to.

I have been using C/Baking Soda for years with RC aircraft. Works great to set the CA. However, the combo dries up real hard and can be tough as hell to sand down.

OK thanks again guys, I had a bit of an issue with the left wing. The lower wing / fuselage mate was a gap only. I've never tried this before but I've heard baking soda and CA will fill the gap and give a strong bond. So here we go. I used a putty tool with a small spoon like end to scoop the BS into the crack and then just ran a bead of CA down the gap. I also had a small lip at the leading edge and I filled it in with by putting the BS in then CAing it.
View attachment 532703View attachment 532704View attachment 532705View attachment 532706View attachment 532707View attachment 532708

Users who are viewing this thread

Back