**** DONE: GB-43 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Tim.

Apart from shortening the tail strap on the seat harness, I haven't got anymore done - been too busy sorting the van and preparing for my tour of Norfolk and Suffolk.
I'll be away, as from tomorrow, for around 12 days, so I'll continue when I get back. I had thought of taking it with me, but with all my other gear needed on the trip, space is a bit tight, and time limited.

Now that the tour and Duxford airshow are out of the way, plus catching up with things, I hope to get back to this later tonight.
Pics when there's something to show .................

After a couple or more hours of fiddly work, I got the decals placed on the cockpit areas. These are from the 'Barracuda' resin detail set, with one from the kit decals, meant for the undercart warning, doubling as a placard on the port wall, near the throttle quadrant.
There are a few more, not visible in the pics due to the angles, and apologies for the reflections - that parts have yet to receive a matt clear coat.
The decal for the oxygen bottle was cut into two parts, for ease of application, but the larger, lower part curled under when applied, and couldn't be straightened. This shouldn't be noticeable once the part is fitted, behind the seat frame, and under the aft transparency and open canopy.
Note that the retaining strap needs another coat of paint.

I hope to get the hydraulic lines fitted to the undercart control tonight, using lead wire, then fit the remaining parts, such as the undercart selector lever, oxygen bottle and resin gunsight, and complete the cockpit assembly.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 181.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 182.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 184.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 185.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 187.JPG

Thanks Andy, but it's mainly what's provided in the Barracuda resin set, plus a couple of small, scratched additions.

Thanks Hugh.

Got the lead wire hydraulic lines fitted to the undercart selector, and painted, and the resin selector lever fitted and painted, with those decalled areas now matt clear coated, and the oxygen bottle attached to the starboard fuselage half.
Afraid I messed up the photos of this area, due to camera shake with the little Fuji, but the results can just about be seen in the other pics.
The cockpit has now been assembled, and test fitted to check fit and positioning.
The resin gun-sight will be fitted next, once the paint has fully dried, and then the cockpit module can be installed, and the fuselage closed.

Pics 1 to 3. The assembled cockpit.
Pic 4. Test fitting before adding the port side wall. The hydraulic lines and undercart selector lever can just be seen.
Pic 5. A simple bracket has been added in the fuselage, made from plastic channel, to support the seat harness cables. The rear interior has yet to be painted silver.

I hope to install the cockpit, and join the fuselage halves tomorrow, and then move on to the rest of the construction.

Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 203.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 204.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 205.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 200.JPG
Spit MkVIII 32nd scale build 206.JPG

Thanks Hugh.

Got the lead wire hydraulic lines fitted to the undercart selector, and painted, and the resin selector lever fitted and painted, with those decalled areas now matt clear coated, and the oxygen bottle attached to the starboard fuselage half.
Afraid I messed up the photos of this area, due to camera shake with the little Fuji, but the results can just about be seen in the other pics.
The cockpit has now been assembled, and test fitted to check fit and positioning.
The resin gun-sight will be fitted next, once the paint has fully dried, and then the cockpit module can be installed, and the fuselage closed.

Pics 1 to 3. The assembled cockpit.
Pic 4. Test fitting before adding the port side wall. The hydraulic lines and undercart selector lever can just be seen.
Pic 5. A simple bracket has been added in the fuselage, made from plastic channel, to support the seat harness cables. The rear interior has yet to be painted silver.

I hope to install the cockpit, and join the fuselage halves tomorrow, and then move on to the rest of the construction.

View attachment 555751View attachment 555752View attachment 555753View attachment 555754View attachment 555756
Great result on this CP........

Looking good Terry. I have been painting the area aft of the seat in aluminum except on my Mk II, though I'm not sure why. Was it green on these?

Thanks very much chaps, it's appreciated.

Andy, I thought about the colour for quite while, as I've seen aluminium, and green, in this area, on various Marks. Most period photos of later Marks seem to show the grey green, with the remainder of the aft fuselage in aluminium, and some with the frame that carries the small cross member in both and even combinations of these finishes. (seen all combinations on currently airworthy 'warbirds' too).
In the end, I reckoned that a painted surface, visible from above under the rear glazing, was probably preferable to a surface that could possibly glint, being a small, but possible aid to detection.

Further test fitting has indicated that the cockpit module may be a bit fiddly to fit accurately, as the fuselage locating points are minimal, and somewhat vague. Also, I think that the frame holding the seat assembly, although correctly positioned and assembled, may not be located in exactly the right position compared to the real aircraft - it should align with the rear of the cockpit door aperture, but looks to be set slightly further aft.
No doubt I'll find out once the module is in place, and if it is a little further aft than it should be, well, there's b*gger all I can do about that now.
As a result of the expected fiddling, I've decided to attach the gun-sight after the fuselage halves have been joined and fully set.
I'm hoping to get this work done later today, and I'll post pics of the results when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back