**** DONE: GB-43 1/48 A6M2a Type 11 - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, I checked them out and the colors are wrong. They have the V-103 as white letters, should be black,
the tail stripe as blue, should be white and the fuselage band as blue, should be red. I just can't seem to win on
this one! I did it wrong here....same as their wrong color decals. John
View attachment 552051

I am not sure that it is necessary to be so categorical.
The A6M2 T.21 colors you are talking about concern wreckage found in 1990. This aircraft was shot down on 13 September 1942 and was very probably assigned to WO Tora'ichi Takatsuka (1 Chutai, Shotai 1).
This aircraft which left the Mitsubishi factory on 3 March 1942 could very well have been Sakai's mount when he often flew in 2 Chutai (blue fuselage band) in April and May 1942...
In addition, it seems that Sakai flew also a V-103 in the 2 Chutai between December 1941 and February 1942. So the number was white with red outlined.

Excellent work so far...!!!
:)

My information came from this source. I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe it's right, maybe not.
I'll stay with my known facts . Thanks for the input.
Saburo SAKAI's Zeros: Color and Markings
More detail painting on cockpit area. John
A6M2a 24.JPG

The canopy is done and I have it just sitting on to test the fit and see how I want
it displayed. I still have to add the head rest to the seat and flap acutators to the
wing. Then I can gloss coat and decal. John
A6M2a 27.JPG

Good work John, don't forget the Blue-Black under the front canopy section as well.

Steph provides some good info too John, White 103 was associated more as Sakai's aircraft than Black 103. The red outlined White numbers were used up until the March/April 42 period when they were changed to Black.
Eagles of the Southern Sky is a great reference book if you want to know more about the Tainan Kokutai and their operations out of Lae and Rabaul.

Thanks Wayne, I have the anti glare area, head rest and what should the canopy rails be as I am leaving
it with the canopy open. I will do black 103 as I already did white 103 and have seen the archaeological
proof anyways. It is what I want to do, I will eventually do all his mounts, maybe even an A5M Claude if I
can figure out which one.I may buy the Southern Eagles book but I have way too many "hard copy" books
and myself prefer computer soft ware. It is easier for me to store. I am retired and got rid of the 2 story abode
with the studio in the loft. John

Hi John, the inner top portion of the cockpit sill would be the cockpit Green, the outer should be cockpit green but could be the external Olive grey colour, this could be dependent on whether the canopy was open or closed at the time of painting, probably also a bit of silver or natural wear from sliding the canopy is also possible.
Regarding an A5M Claude, one aircraft noted as flown by Sakai is 3-107 I think this is an A5M4 from memory.

Fine Molds do a great 1/48 Claude kit, I have done 2 of them, see my builds in GB41 to see what they are like.

Thanks Wayne, the blue wing tip light cover on your Claude is because they used tungsten bulbs, yellow, so
the blue turned green? I think I read that somewhere but don't remember where. John

Thanks, the cockpit is all painted up, cowling sprayed black and the tail wheel is on.
Ready to head for a gloss coat and some decals. John
A6M2a 28.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back