**** DONE: GB-43 1:48 P-51D - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Hasegawa #09779
Model: N.A. P-51D
Scale: 1:48

This aircraft will depict that of Capt Ted Lines, 335th FS/4th FG.8th AF.. Capt. Lines is officially credited with ten victories, however, examination of combat reports indicates that he actually destroyed 14. These victories included four in one day. He had been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster, and the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters

t.jpg

THE WEB: P-51D Mustang, Ted Lines. 1/72 Tamiya
I'm going to be lazy here. I found a photo in a book that showed no lower fuselage invasion stripes so that's how I'll do it. I will however paint with wing and stabilizer stripes.

The box top and innards.

Untitled.jpg

004.JPG

Some very nice detail in the cockpit

006.JPG

Wings and stuff, two different exhaust types

007.JPG

More great detail

009.JPG

Lots of stuff that won't get used. There are two of these sprues and include two sets of propellers and fuel tanks

011.JPG

Deecals

013.JPG

Clear parts wouldn't photograph very well with a blue background so black it is; two sets of canopies and 6 pieces of carpet food

015.JPG

Last edited:
Someone always comes thru with the goods.
Been "saved" more than once..... what a site!!!!!!
Good one Geo

7 days of pushing mud. The new 24 has a mileage reset option and I've always been curious about daily distance. I pushed mud for roughly 350kms. Gonna take a quick nap, get back to the rest of the decals on GB-42 and maybe get a bit done here

Right. GB-42 is put to bed and on to this one...or so I thought. I was about to mask along the interior of the fuselage to keep the paint away from the innards glue points and noticed a slight grey colour on the parts. Could this be the dreaded mold release agent that I've read about? I've built 100 or so models of various pedigrees and this is the first time I have come across this. So I gave the parts a quick soapy wash and rinse. In the meantime I came across this drawing; Would this be the correct representation of the puttied over wings?

MustangWingFinish.jpg

According to my knowledge it is correct. However another diagram from Modelmania no.3 shows the wing small panels at the landing leg roots being also unpainted...

MustangWingFinish_.jpg

Haven't ever heard of that mold release being a distinct colour but lots possible I suppose. The diagram looks correct to me with Wojyek's suggested mod.

Sounds good. (A) gets filled but what about (2)? In the diagram above the panel lines look filled but being around the MGs, wouldn't they need access? Arrows and circle indicate what I suspect is the mold release schtuff; easy to remove which I will do once I get the panel lines filled.

002.JPG

My innards colours and panel line filler. XF-4 for the wheel well bulkhead and XF-3/XF-5 for the cockpit, a mix of 2/1

003.JPG

According to the technological division of the wing structure the part with the MG outlets had been attached firstly before the wing was made smooth and painted silver . . Contrary to the small panels at the leg roots that were the main landing gear pivot shaft access doors and were attached at the end.

p51wing.jpg

p51wing_2.jpg

p51wing_1.jpg

p51d_wing.jpg

Also for B version...
p51wing_b.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

That's an excellent reference thread and I was going to suggest it to Geo. Thanks Wojtek. It seems the guns could likely be withdrawn from the bays so access to the front may not have been needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back